Re: [Marbling] Whiskers? Yes, really.

  • dkmaurer1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
      Hi Lavinia,

      I used the whisker in TN to demonstrate fine patterning for suminagashi
      which, if done in about 1/2 inch of water (no wake) approximates a
      watercolor-marbled chevron design. Although my cats have passed away (I have a rambunctious
      potentially kitty-snacking husky now), I do have friends with cats who supply me
      with whiskers. Volunteered whiskers are also good for fine line painting or
      calligraphy!

      Best regards,
      Diane Maurer-Mathison

    • Lavinia Adler
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
        Thanks for reminding me who'd used the whisker, Diane! I was leaning
        toward it being you, but would have had to check my photos and notes to
        be sure. What I didn't remember was that it was a suminagashi pattern.
        I'm glad you clarified that. I wonder if the whisker could handle the
        heavier duty marbling techniques.

        Lavinia

        On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:01:41 EST dkmaurer1@... writes

        Hi Lavinia,

        I used the whisker in TN to demonstrate fine patterning for suminagashi
        which, if done in about 1/2 inch of water (no wake) approximates a
        watercolor-marbled chevron design. Although my cats have passed away (I
        have a rambunctious
        potentially kitty-snacking husky now), I do have friends with cats who
        supply me
        with whiskers. Volunteered whiskers are also good for fine line painting
        or
        calligraphy!

        Best regards,
        Diane Maurer-Mathison
      • Sally Jackson
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
          While I realize you said that friends give you whiskers, how do they
          get them from the cat? Surely nobody cuts off a cat's whiskers!

          My husband made combs using acupuncture needles for very fine
          combing. The needles aren't much thicker than a human hair. That
          worked wonderfully well.

          Sally Jackson

          On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:01 PM, dkmaurer1@... wrote:

          > Hi Lavinia,
          >
          > I used the whisker in TN to demonstrate fine patterning for
          > suminagashi
          > which, if done in about 1/2 inch of water (no wake) approximates a
          > watercolor-marbled chevron design. Although my cats have passed
          > away (I have a rambunctious
          > potentially kitty-snacking husky now), I do have friends with cats
          > who supply me
          > with whiskers. Volunteered whiskers are also good for fine line
          > painting or
          > calligraphy!
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Diane Maurer-Mathison

        • Lavinia Adler
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
            I'm sure Diane's friends get those whiskers just as I do -- picking them
            up from the floor or furniture where the cats have shed them!

            Lavinia

            On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:49:22 -0600 Sally Jackson <serifm@...>
            writes:

            While I realize you said that friends give you whiskers, how do they
            get them from the cat? Surely nobody cuts off a cat's whiskers!
          • gretchen vansant
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
              Cat whiskers are shed on occasions....I personally like the idea of the acupuncture needle...but since I work in Methol and in such a large vat my fine lines come with layered applied paint..great ideas! G

            • dkmaurer1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
                Maybe a tiger whisker!

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
                  Oh heavens.....they have to be volunteered. All cats shed whiskers from time
                  to time. Mine used to shed white whiskers on my navy blue couch. Be on the
                  lookout for them and you'll see them. A student in one of my classes once asked
                  how you avoid getting scratched yanking them out! No fair doing that!!!LOL! And
                  no fair cutting them either......

                  Diane