Whiskers? Yes, really.

  • Lavinia Adler
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
      Hi, Everyone,
      Here's an offer I bet you can't resist. ; -)
      I once saw a marbling demo in which was used a cat's whisker for
      creating very fine patterns. It was at the Marblers' Gathering in
      Tennessee, and I almost remember the artist, but not quite without
      reviewing my notes which are out of reach at the moment.
      Anyway, I currently have a very accommodating feline who now and then
      drops a whisker, and I've collected ten of them which I'd be happy to
      share. The first ten people to email me will have one set aside for them.
      I'll send them out upon receipt of a SASE.
      My address is: 4174 Lisi Lane, Binghamton, NY 13903.

      Lavinia Adler

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
        Hi Lavinia,

        I used the whisker in TN to demonstrate fine patterning for suminagashi
        which, if done in about 1/2 inch of water (no wake) approximates a
        watercolor-marbled chevron design. Although my cats have passed away (I have a rambunctious
        potentially kitty-snacking husky now), I do have friends with cats who supply me
        with whiskers. Volunteered whiskers are also good for fine line painting or
        calligraphy!

        Best regards,
        Diane Maurer-Mathison

      • Lavinia Adler
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
          Thanks for reminding me who'd used the whisker, Diane! I was leaning
          toward it being you, but would have had to check my photos and notes to
          be sure. What I didn't remember was that it was a suminagashi pattern.
          I'm glad you clarified that. I wonder if the whisker could handle the
          heavier duty marbling techniques.

          Lavinia

          On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:01:41 EST dkmaurer1@... writes

          Hi Lavinia,

          I used the whisker in TN to demonstrate fine patterning for suminagashi
          which, if done in about 1/2 inch of water (no wake) approximates a
          watercolor-marbled chevron design. Although my cats have passed away (I
          have a rambunctious
          potentially kitty-snacking husky now), I do have friends with cats who
          supply me
          with whiskers. Volunteered whiskers are also good for fine line painting
          or
          calligraphy!

          Best regards,
          Diane Maurer-Mathison
        • Sally Jackson
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
            While I realize you said that friends give you whiskers, how do they
            get them from the cat? Surely nobody cuts off a cat's whiskers!

            My husband made combs using acupuncture needles for very fine
            combing. The needles aren't much thicker than a human hair. That
            worked wonderfully well.

            Sally Jackson

            On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:01 PM, dkmaurer1@... wrote:

            > Hi Lavinia,
            >
            > I used the whisker in TN to demonstrate fine patterning for
            > suminagashi
            > which, if done in about 1/2 inch of water (no wake) approximates a
            > watercolor-marbled chevron design. Although my cats have passed
            > away (I have a rambunctious
            > potentially kitty-snacking husky now), I do have friends with cats
            > who supply me
            > with whiskers. Volunteered whiskers are also good for fine line
            > painting or
            > calligraphy!
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Diane Maurer-Mathison

          • Lavinia Adler
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
              I'm sure Diane's friends get those whiskers just as I do -- picking them
              up from the floor or furniture where the cats have shed them!

              Lavinia

              On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:49:22 -0600 Sally Jackson <serifm@...>
              writes:

              While I realize you said that friends give you whiskers, how do they
              get them from the cat? Surely nobody cuts off a cat's whiskers!
            • gretchen vansant
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
                Cat whiskers are shed on occasions....I personally like the idea of the acupuncture needle...but since I work in Methol and in such a large vat my fine lines come with layered applied paint..great ideas! G

              • dkmaurer1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
                  Maybe a tiger whisker!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
                    Oh heavens.....they have to be volunteered. All cats shed whiskers from time
                    to time. Mine used to shed white whiskers on my navy blue couch. Be on the
                    lookout for them and you'll see them. A student in one of my classes once asked
                    how you avoid getting scratched yanking them out! No fair doing that!!!LOL! And
                    no fair cutting them either......

                    Diane