Re:New to this Group, and Marbling, but not to Handcrafts

  • Jim Kimpell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
      Thank you for the replies and starting points. I am going to order
      some basics and paper to get my feet wet, and hopefully not covered
      with paint !
      I think I will build my own tray and I found a set of five combs for
      sale, so I should be trying a bit soon.
      Jim

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

      > --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031
      > I built most of my trays from old pieces of paneling that I
      salvaged that someone had
      > thrown out for the bottoms and lathe or 1 x 2's for the sides.
      Then I lined them with a

      v=54OILOfT1bs&eurl=http://www.f by
      > these two marvelous ladies from Australia.
      >
      > I've bought almost every book that exists on marbling and 2 dvd's.
      I've only been
      > able to take one lesson from a "real" marbler and have had to learn
      the rest by
      > myself because almost no one here does it. I've become somewhat
      obssessed by it
      > and now make papers and marbled silk scarves.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > Sue
      >
      > --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031
      built most of my trays from old
      > pieces of paneling that I salvaged that someone had
      > thrown out for the bottoms and lathe or 1 x 2's for the sides.
       Then I lined them with a
      > double layer of 6 miil visqueen (clear plastic).  I also use
      clear plastic box frames for
      > photos from Michaels Crafts Store, which are perfect. They are in
      sizes from 5 x 7 to
      > 16 x 20 and are relatively cheap.   I've also used thrown
      out cookie sheet - jelly roll
      size:10pt">Instead of lining things with plastic,
      > you can also seal all the edges with aquarium
      > sealant, then spray paint them white with Krylon or something.
       I made my own tools
      > from corrugated plastic like they use for making signs, then
      putting pins in them and
      size:10pt">This article from Wet Canvas is very
      href="http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2330/463/index.php"><font
      face="Times New Roman" size=3><span
      size:12pt"><u>http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2330/463/index.php</u
      > face="Times New Roman" size=3>
      style="font-size:12pt">I've printed out
      > a lot of things and have them in a notebook to refer
      size:10pt">Otherwise, you can buy starter kits
      > of tools for not too much from either
      > www.volcanoarts.biz  or from Galen Berry at
      http://marbleart.us/  I also learned a lot
      > by myself from looking up marbling on Google and watching
       videos on youtube, like
      > this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?
      v=54OILOfT1bs&eurl=http://www.f  by
      size:10pt">I've bought almost every book that