Re: [Marbling] New to this Group, and Marbling, but not to Handcrafts

  • Norm LeBret
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2009
      Hi Jim,

      Boy, do I understand the downside of having a cush-job that was supposed to be the career leading to retirement! Sorry to learn that happened to you. I was skeptical about the security of working for a big company, way back in the early '70s when Jimmy Ling's empire collapsed and my brother found himself without a job. Since then, I've always looked to self-employment as being the only real security in life. I wish you the best of luck!

      I stumbled onto "marbling" not too long ago, when I saw some work that looked very much like paintings I've been doing for several years. My technique differs because I only use oil paints and a shallow pan filled with water. My interests lay in the physical interaction between pigments, carriers, and substrates. The variation I get with my simple setup is enough to keep me intrigued for a long time. All you have to do is stea... um, borrow one of your wife's shallow cookie pans or something like that.
      Norm

      p.s. you can see examples on my page at Art Scuttlebutt http://www.artscuttlebutt.com/nononorm

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2009
        Hello Jim, Just read your message and I wish you all the luck, sounds
        like you've got a great project there in Iowa. Sorry I can't help
        with any equipment as mine is in use 24/7. I am a book-restorer and
        became interested in marbling about 30 years ago and now it's taken
        over my business and I can't produce enough! I do hope you've got the
        market for it out there in the US. I know there's a lot of commercial
        marblers over there. Here in the 'ole UK (North Wales to be precise)
        there's about 18 full-timers and a great many more bookbinders so the
        ratio to keep marblers busy is about right. A lot of my paper goes to
        make lampshades. Bye for now and good luck.

        Regards, Keith Houghton

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Kimpell" <Highhorse@...> wrote:

        > Hello Marblers , My name is Jim Kimpell and I find the art of
        > Marbling fascinating. I have many 18th century books with marbled
        > edges and frontice pieces. I am a historical Tinsmith & reenactor
        of
        > the Great Lakes Fur Trade era, and also do early French, and
        Canadian
        > interpretations. We recently bought an acreage with a huge barn in
        > the heartland of farm country in Iowa, and I am getting my shop set
        > up in the loft. I just found out last week that my job of 10 years
        > was permanently eliminated, only 2 weeks after we bought the
        > acreage,so , with no jobs available in this area, I have decided to
        > have a try at working for myself, and raising Heirloom vegatables,
        > Dominique chickens, and uor 5 dogs(rescue animals0 and our
        miniature
        > goats.
        > I have no marbling equipment yet, and I am hoping to find someone
        > that has not used their equipment for awhile that would be willing
        > part with everything and maybe get a good bulk deal. I don't want
        > this to sound like begging, but I haven't got alot of extra cash on
        > hand at the moment, due to current economy.
        > So if anyone knows of equipment, books, materials that can be had,
        > please let me know. I make very nice leather covered small trunks
        and
        > a large variety of historical tinware if anyone wants to trade !
        > I look forward to learning and sharing much with this group.

      • Sue Cole

          --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031
          I built most of my trays from old pieces of paneling that I salvaged that someone had
          thrown out for the bottoms and lathe or 1 x 2's for the sides. Then I lined them with a
          double layer of 6 miil visqueen (clear plastic). I also use clear plastic box frames for
          photos from Michaels Crafts Store, which are perfect. They are in sizes from 5 x 7 to
          16 x 20 and are relatively cheap. I've also used thrown out cookie sheet - jelly roll
          pans if they are not rusted.

          Instead of lining things with plastic, you can also seal all the edges with aquarium
          sealant, then spray paint them white with Krylon or something. I made my own tools
          from corrugated plastic like they use for making signs, then putting pins in them and
          duct taping them.

          This article from Wet Canvas is very good and shows the tools:
          http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2330/463/index.php
          I've printed out a lot of things and have them in a notebook to refer to.

          Otherwise, you can buy starter kits of tools for not too much from either
          www.volcanoarts.biz or from Galen Berry at http://marbleart.us/ I also learned a lot
          by myself from looking up marbling on Google and watching videos on youtube, like
          this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs&eurl=http://www.f by
          these two marvelous ladies from Australia.

          I've bought almost every book that exists on marbling and 2 dvd's. I've only been
          able to take one lesson from a "real" marbler and have had to learn the rest by
          myself because almost no one here does it. I've become somewhat obssessed by it
          and now make papers and marbled silk scarves.

          Hope this helps,
          Sue

          --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031
          pieces of paneling that I salvaged that someone had
          thrown out for the bottoms and lathe or 1 x 2's for the sides.  Then I lined them with a
          double layer of 6 miil visqueen (clear plastic).  I also use clear plastic box frames for
          photos from Michaels Crafts Store, which are perfect. They are in sizes from 5 x 7 to
          16 x 20 and are relatively cheap.   I've also used thrown out cookie sheet - jelly roll
          you can also seal all the edges with aquarium
          sealant, then spray paint them white with Krylon or something.  I made my own tools
          from corrugated plastic like they use for making signs, then putting pins in them and
          face="Times New Roman" size=3>
          of tools for not too much from either
          www.volcanoarts.biz  or from Galen Berry at http://marbleart.us/  I also learned a lot
          by myself from looking up marbling on Google and watching  videos on youtube, like
          this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs&eurl=http://www.f  by
          exists on marbling and 2 dvd's.  I've only been
          able to take one lesson from a "real" marbler and have had to learn the rest by
          myself because almost no one here does it.  I've become somewhat obssessed by it

          --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031--
        • Jim Kimpell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
            Thank you for the replies and starting points. I am going to order
            some basics and paper to get my feet wet, and hopefully not covered
            with paint !
            I think I will build my own tray and I found a set of five combs for
            sale, so I should be trying a bit soon.
            Jim

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

            > --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031
            > I built most of my trays from old pieces of paneling that I
            salvaged that someone had
            > thrown out for the bottoms and lathe or 1 x 2's for the sides.
            Then I lined them with a
            > double layer of 6 miil visqueen (clear plastic). I also use clear
            plastic box frames for
            > photos from Michaels Crafts Store, which are perfect. They are in
            sizes from 5 x 7 to
            > 16 x 20 and are relatively cheap. I've also used thrown out
            cookie sheet - jelly roll
            > pans if they are not rusted.
            >
            > Instead of lining things with plastic, you can also seal all the
            edges with aquarium
            > sealant, then spray paint them white with Krylon or something. I
            made my own tools
            > from corrugated plastic like they use for making signs, then
            putting pins in them and
            > duct taping them.
            >
            > This article from Wet Canvas is very good and shows the tools:
            > http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2330/463/index.php
            > I've printed out a lot of things and have them in a notebook to
            refer to.

            > Otherwise, you can buy starter kits of tools for not too much from
            either
            > www.volcanoarts.biz or from Galen Berry at http://marbleart.us/ I
            also learned a lot
            > by myself from looking up marbling on Google and watching videos
            on youtube, like
            > this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
            v=54OILOfT1bs&eurl=http://www.f by
            > these two marvelous ladies from Australia.
            >
            > I've bought almost every book that exists on marbling and 2 dvd's.
            I've only been
            > able to take one lesson from a "real" marbler and have had to learn
            the rest by
            > myself because almost no one here does it. I've become somewhat
            obssessed by it
            > and now make papers and marbled silk scarves.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            > Sue
            >
            > --Alt-Boundary-31781.401918031
            built most of my trays from old
            > pieces of paneling that I salvaged that someone had
            > thrown out for the bottoms and lathe or 1 x 2's for the sides.
             Then I lined them with a
            > double layer of 6 miil visqueen (clear plastic).  I also use
            clear plastic box frames for
            > photos from Michaels Crafts Store, which are perfect. They are in
            sizes from 5 x 7 to
            > 16 x 20 and are relatively cheap.   I've also used thrown
            out cookie sheet - jelly roll
            size:10pt">Instead of lining things with plastic,
            > you can also seal all the edges with aquarium
            > sealant, then spray paint them white with Krylon or something.
             I made my own tools
            > from corrugated plastic like they use for making signs, then
            putting pins in them and
            size:10pt">This article from Wet Canvas is very
            href="http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2330/463/index.php"><font
            face="Times New Roman" size=3><span
            size:12pt"><u>http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2330/463/index.php</u
            > face="Times New Roman" size=3>
            style="font-size:12pt">I've printed out
            > a lot of things and have them in a notebook to refer
            size:10pt">Otherwise, you can buy starter kits
            > of tools for not too much from either
            > www.volcanoarts.biz  or from Galen Berry at
            http://marbleart.us/  I also learned a lot
            > by myself from looking up marbling on Google and watching
             videos on youtube, like
            > this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?
            v=54OILOfT1bs&eurl=http://www.f  by
            size:10pt">I've bought almost every book that