Re: [Marbling] Christmas Card with Marbled Background

  • caroline@carolineatigeress.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2008
      Gah my bad for the empty message (got a phone for the holidays and am
      still learning it)"" what I wanted to say is that I started on
      Arches and then switched to stonehenge (I've worked as big as 32 x 44)
      and really found it to be an enjoyable sheet to work on. Peace.
      Caroline

      On 12/29/08, rkhollingsworth <rkhollingsworth@...> wrote:
      > This year I once again used marbling to create my own Christmas Cards
      > (although the theme is not Christmas-related). I decided to post
      > pictures of the card on the Marbling Group Photos webpage since
      > sometimes pictures of other people's work can provide ideas for your
      > own.
      >
      > There is a U.S. postage stamp that has an image of wild horses on it
      > that I like, and I decided to try using it to generate my card and
      > incorporate a marbled background to try to liven it up. I have
      > posted the results on the Photos page in an album entitled "Christmas
      > Card with Marbled Background." I tried two different patterns for
      > the background, a nonpareil and a getgel. While I thought both
      > looked nice, I decided I liked the effect of the getgel better since
      > it seemed to give a greater sense of motion.
      >
      > Technical Details: Paper – Arches cover buff printmaking paper (all
      > printmaking papers I have ever tried seem to marble very nicely).
      > Carragheenan bath. Colophon Book Arts watercolor inks. I used
      > removable frisket paper to limit the marbling to the rectangular area
      > where I wanted the marbled background. I then printed the horse
      > image over the top of it using a little home press. Since I was
      > printing at home, I used water-soluble Speedball block printing inks
      > for the first time. These turned out to be more transparent than the
      > oil-based inks I was accustomed to using (ref. the cover article in
      > the final issue of Ink & Gall), so the marbled background showed
      > through the printed image more than I expected. However, I decided
      > the effect of that was not really detrimental to the final image, so
      > proceeded with the printing.
      >
      > The four pictures in the "Christmas Card with Marbled Background"
      > album on the Photos page show the front of the card with the two
      > different marbled backgrounds, my little "chop" on the back of the
      > card (as yet unsigned in the picture), and the postage stamp whose
      > image inspired the whole project. The following link will take you
      > directly to that album if you would like to take a look at the card:
      >
      > Click on the thumbnails to enlarge them enough to see.

      www.carolineatigeress.com
      www.northwestzineworks.com
      www.indymediareviews.com
    • onemarbler
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2008
        Wow! Very impressive. Thanks so much for posting the images.

        Lavinia

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "rkhollingsworth"