Re: [Marbling] website construction and hosting

  • Sharon Giles
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2001
      Actually the images on your Web site look rather good. Putting really good
      images on the Web is a problem, because the more detail there is and the
      larger the size of the image, then the larger the image file becomes and the
      longer it takes to load. People with a slow modem speed really have problems
      with graphic-intensive sites. I have ADSL so it doesn't matter to me.

      It's best to scan in images for the Internet at about 80 dpi. Many people
      take the route of using small thumbnail gifs (a type of image) for quick
      more detailed jpeg image, which could be scanned in at a higher resolution.

      The other issue about putting up really good images is that it makes them
      more attractive for 'theft' or unauthorized use. You can use some kind of
      watermarking software to discourage this.

      By the way, Dreamweaver is a very good program. I am in the process of
      learning the PC version, myself.

      And thanks for prompt service on the supplies and books. They've arrived
      safely.

      Sharon Giles

      >From: dkmaurer1@...
      >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Marbling] website construction and hosting
      >Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:00:52 EST
      >
      >Hello,
      >
      > I'm having a terrible time getting good images to come up on my rather
      >pathetic website. My husband is a graphic designer, but working with the
      >templates and small amount of space available on the cheapie sites is
      >really
      >frustrating, especially when showing marbled images. Another problem is
      >that
      >we work on a MAC and most free sites must be constructed from a PC He's
      >confident that Dreamweaver will allow us to create something good, but
      >we'll
      >have to find a good (and reasonable) host. Any suggestions from those of
      >you
      >who've done this?
      >
      >Thanks, Diane

    • John Ang Cheng Siew
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2001
        It is not true that a PC can only be used for creating a website.

        There are softwares which are available on the PC as well as for the MAC,
        such as Dreamweaver and Photoshop.

        > I'm having a terrible time getting good images to come up on my rather
        >pathetic website. My husband is a graphic designer, but working with the
        >templates and small amount of space available on the cheapie sites is really
        >frustrating, especially when showing marbled images. Another problem is that
        >we work on a MAC and most free sites must be constructed from a PC He's
        >confident that Dreamweaver will allow us to create something good, but we'll
        >have to find a good (and reasonable) host. Any suggestions from those of
        you
        >who've done this?
        >
        >Thanks, Diane

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        :)

        John Ang Cheng Siew
        My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
      • dkmaurer1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2001
          Hi Sharon, John & Mar,

          Thanks for your response to my questions. We managed to get more space on
          the site by linking to another free site in my name. Although all looked
          crisp when building the page, the Ultimate Marbling Handbook cover looks
          pretty fuzzy when you call up the site. Oh well, you solve one problem and
          create another and, as our mom's always said, you get what you pay for -- we
          are looking into getting a copy of Dreamweaver for MAC and building a larger
          site so I can show my collages and sell marbling supplies and books from the
          web.

          Best,
          Diane