website construction and hosting

  • dkmaurer1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2001
      Hello,

      I'm having a terrible time getting good images to come up on my rather
      pathetic website. My husband is a graphic designer, but working with the
      templates and small amount of space available on the cheapie sites is really
      frustrating, especially when showing marbled images. Another problem is that
      we work on a MAC and most free sites must be constructed from a PC He's
      confident that Dreamweaver will allow us to create something good, but we'll
      have to find a good (and reasonable) host. Any suggestions from those of you
      who've done this?

      Thanks, Diane
    • Sharon Giles
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2001
        Actually the images on your Web site look rather good. Putting really good
        images on the Web is a problem, because the more detail there is and the
        larger the size of the image, then the larger the image file becomes and the
        longer it takes to load. People with a slow modem speed really have problems
        with graphic-intensive sites. I have ADSL so it doesn't matter to me.

        It's best to scan in images for the Internet at about 80 dpi. Many people
        take the route of using small thumbnail gifs (a type of image) for quick
        more detailed jpeg image, which could be scanned in at a higher resolution.

        The other issue about putting up really good images is that it makes them
        more attractive for 'theft' or unauthorized use. You can use some kind of
        watermarking software to discourage this.

        By the way, Dreamweaver is a very good program. I am in the process of
        learning the PC version, myself.

        And thanks for prompt service on the supplies and books. They've arrived
        safely.

        Sharon Giles

        >From: dkmaurer1@...
        >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Marbling] website construction and hosting
        >Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:00:52 EST
        >
        >Hello,
        >
        > I'm having a terrible time getting good images to come up on my rather
        >pathetic website. My husband is a graphic designer, but working with the
        >templates and small amount of space available on the cheapie sites is
        >really
        >frustrating, especially when showing marbled images. Another problem is
        >that
        >we work on a MAC and most free sites must be constructed from a PC He's
        >confident that Dreamweaver will allow us to create something good, but
        >we'll
        >have to find a good (and reasonable) host. Any suggestions from those of
        >you
        >who've done this?
        >
        >Thanks, Diane

      • John Ang Cheng Siew
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14, 2001
          It is not true that a PC can only be used for creating a website.

          There are softwares which are available on the PC as well as for the MAC,
          such as Dreamweaver and Photoshop.

          > I'm having a terrible time getting good images to come up on my rather
          >pathetic website. My husband is a graphic designer, but working with the
          >templates and small amount of space available on the cheapie sites is really
          >frustrating, especially when showing marbled images. Another problem is that
          >we work on a MAC and most free sites must be constructed from a PC He's
          >confident that Dreamweaver will allow us to create something good, but we'll
          >have to find a good (and reasonable) host. Any suggestions from those of
          you
          >who've done this?
          >
          >Thanks, Diane

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          :)

          John Ang Cheng Siew
          My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
        • dkmaurer1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2001
            Hi Sharon, John & Mar,

            Thanks for your response to my questions. We managed to get more space on
            the site by linking to another free site in my name. Although all looked
            crisp when building the page, the Ultimate Marbling Handbook cover looks
            pretty fuzzy when you call up the site. Oh well, you solve one problem and
            create another and, as our mom's always said, you get what you pay for -- we
            are looking into getting a copy of Dreamweaver for MAC and building a larger
            site so I can show my collages and sell marbling supplies and books from the
            web.

            Best,
            Diane