Orphan Works Bill...we are all in danger if this passes

  • idn17
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
      I'd like to let people know about the Orphan Works Bill. I know this
      may seem like spam to some of you or a hoax, but it is real. I
      received this from an artist friend I trust, went to the site, sent
      the letter they have already made up to my congressman and received
      a reply. So don't be afraid. I did have a little problem with one of
      the links way at the bottom, but maybe it will work for others. The
      important link is the first one at the top, where you can send the
      letter to your congressman.

      Please take this seriously,
      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

      ***
      Subject: copyright protection

      http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/?
      alertid=11980321

      Hey friends....I hope you can give us artists a hand on this issue.
      Because of the scramble on the bail-out bill, this Orphan Works bill
      was passed in the Senate under the radar. It's about our copy
      rights for visual artists, writers, photographers and
      songwriters...anyone in the creative field. If this Orphan Works
      bill passes through the House , we artists will be obliged to pay
      Google, directly or indirectly, $200 for each piece, song, image,
      etc. we create in order to protect our copyright.

      At this time, all we have to do is sign our work, put the date and
      the'circle c' and we have a copyright. If we want more protection,
      ie. from court costs on infringement issues, we can send our images
      and $30 to the Copyright Division of the Federal Government, and
      then we are registered.

      I don't think any of us want to further enrich an huge and very
      wealthy company and make it easier for them to catalogue and use
      artist's work without their consent. As we have seen, especially in
      the recent weeks, the corporations (and the government in cahoots
      with them) have not served well for the ordinary US citizen. And,
      for most of us artists, our copyright is one of our most valuable
      assets. If we have no protection unless we pay, what for most of
      us, is big money for each creation, then we have no way to make a
      living.

      Please click on the site provided...there is a form letter there
      and it's easy...send it out and help your artist friends. I
      included quotes from some of my friends and the Illustration
      Society, if you want to read more about it. Thank you so much.

      'While this is marked "low importance", it's exactly the opposite—
      congress is trying to hotline a bill through that would
      significantly change the copyright laws. As individuals involved in
      the generation of creative works, you would be required to register
      your work with two bureaus for $100 a piece—if not, then your work
      will be considered "orphan" and you will lose your ownership rights.

      Please read more about this bill, and if you agree, send a letter
      to your congress people letting them know how you feel—links are
      below in the e-mail to do this, already written out, etc.

      As you know, copyright is granted automatically in the US when the
      work is created—you would lose this under this addition to the
      copyright code. Interestingly enough, Google is a huge supporter of
      this legislation, as it will eliminate having to get your permission
      for them to catalogue your work, and repurpose it however they see
      fit.

      Orphan Works: The Devil's Own Day
      Never Too Busy to Pass Special
      Interest Legislation 9.28.08

      >As lawmakers struggled Friday to clean up the
      >mess on Wall Street, sponsors of the Orphan
      >Works Act passed more special interest
      >legislation. Their bill would force copyright
      >holders to subsidize giant copyright databases run by giant
      internet firms.

      >Like the companies now needing billion dollar
      >bailouts, these copyright registries - which
      >would theoretically contain the entire copyright
      >wealth of the US - would presumably be 'too big
      >to fail.' Yet it's our wealth, not theirs, the scheme would risk.
      >
      >Small business owners didn't ask for this
      >legislation. We don't want it and we don't need
      >it. Our opposition numbers have been growing
      >daily. So Friday, the bill's sponsors reached for the hotline.

      What is Hotlining?

      >Critics of hotlining say 'that lawmakers are
      >essentially signing off on legislation neither
      >they nor their staff have ever read.'
      >
      >'In order for a bill to be hotlined, the Senate
      >Majority Leader and Minority Leader must agree
      >to pass it by unanimous consent, without a
      >roll-call vote. The two leaders then inform
      >Members of this agreement using special hotlines
      >installed in each office and give Members a
      >specified amount of time to object - in some
      >cases as little as 15 minutes. If no objection
      >is registered, the bill is passed.'
      >- Roll Call, Sept 17, 2007
      >
      >In other words, a Senate bill can pass by
      >'unanimous consent' even if some Senators don't know about it.
      >
      >The Devil's Own Day
      >
      >Senators Leahy and Hatch hotlined the Orphan
      >Works Act twice last summer. Each time came at
      >the end of a day, at the end of a week, near the
      >end of a legislative session.. Each time
      >lawmakers were distracted by other issues and
      >other plans. Each time artists rallied quickly
      >and each time a Senator put a hold on the bill.
      >
      >Friday the Senators found a new opportunity.
      >
      >With lawmakers struggling to package a 700
      >billion dollar bailout to avert a worldwide
      >economic meltdown, with the rest of the country
      >focused on Presidential debates, with Washington
      >in chaos and Congressional phone lines jammed,
      >they hotlined an amended bill. On short notice,
      >even the legislative aides we could reach by
      >phone said they didn't have time to read it.. And
      >so, while we were rushing to get out a second
      >email blast to artists, the bill passed by
      >'unanimous consent' - in other words, by default.
      >
      >What better way to pass a bill that was drafted
      >in secret than to pass it while nobody's looking?
      >
      >Since Friday, artists have been conducting
      >bitter post mortems on their blogs. That's
      >understandable, but it's not time yet.
      >
      >'When Sherman arrived at Grant's headquarters
      >later that evening, he found the general -
      >broken sword and all - chewing on a soggy cigar
      >in the rain, which had begun soaking the battlefield.
      >
      >'Well, Grant,' Sherman said to his friend,
      >'we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?'
      >
      >'Yes,' replied Grant, 'lick 'em tomorrow, though.''
      >
      >The Senate passed their bill Friday, but the
      >House hasn't. There's still time to write, phone
      >and fax your congressional representatives. Tell
      >them not to let the House Judiciary Committee
      >fold their bill and adopt the Senate's.
      >
      >Tell Congress to protect the private property of
      >small businesses. Lick 'em tomorrow.

      Here's the site
      http://capwiz.com/illustrators/partnership/issues/alert/?
      alertid=11980321

      http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php?
      searchterm=00273
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
        PS.... the way this got formatted, you will need to copy and paste the link. The post came to me with it on two lines and I had to type the whole thing on one line manually to make it work on MSN, but let me try here and see if it comes through clickable:

        http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/?alertid=11980321<http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/?alertid=11980321>

        if not, you will likely have to type manually if the copy/paste doesn't work.

        http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/<http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/>?
> [...]

        >'unanimous consent' - in other words, by default.
        >
        >What better way to pass a bill that was drafted
        >in secret than to pass it while nobody's looking?
        >
        >Since Friday, artists have been conducting
        >bitter post mortems on their blogs. That's
        >understandable, but it's not time yet.
        >
        >'When Sherman arrived at Grant's headquarters
        >later that evening, he found the general -
        >broken sword and all - chewing on a soggy cigar
        >in the rain, which had begun soaking the battlefield.
        >
        >'Well, Grant,' Sherman said to his friend,
        >'we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?'
        >
        >'Yes,' replied Grant, 'lick 'em tomorrow, though.''
        >
        >The Senate passed their bill Friday, but the
        >House hasn't. There's still time to write, phone
        >and fax your congressional representatives. Tell
        >them not to let the House Judiciary Committee
        >fold their bill and adopt the Senate's.
        >
        >Tell Congress to protect the private property of

        http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php<http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php>?
        searchterm=00273

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
          PPS...I am having no luck making this link format to be clickable... why it came through X2 is beyond me, didn't enter it twice. Anyway, do what you must to get to this site. Trying one more time!
          http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/?alertid=11980321<http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/?alertid=11980321>
          Iris
[...]

          www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/<http://www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/>>

          ***

> [...]

          >'unanimous consent' - in other words, by default.
          >
          >What better way to pass a bill that was drafted
          >in secret than to pass it while nobody's looking?
          >
          >Since Friday, artists have been conducting
          >bitter post mortems on their blogs. That's
          >understandable, but it's not time yet.
          >
          >'When Sherman arrived at Grant's headquarters
          >later that evening, he found the general -
          >broken sword and all - chewing on a soggy cigar
          >in the rain, which had begun soaking the battlefield.
          >
          >'Well, Grant,' Sherman said to his friend,
          >'we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?'
          >
          >'Yes,' replied Grant, 'lick 'em tomorrow, though.''
          >
          >The Senate passed their bill Friday, but the
          >House hasn't. There's still time to write, phone
          >and fax your congressional representatives. Tell
          >them not to let the House Judiciary Committee
          >fold their bill and adopt the Senate's.
          >
          >Tell Congress to protect the private property of

          http://capwiz.com/illustrators/partnership/issues/alert/<http://capwiz.com/illustrators/partnership/issues/alert/<http://capwiz.com/illustrators/partnership/issues/alert/<http://capwiz.com/illustrators/partnership/issues/alert/>>?
          alertid=11980321

          http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php<http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php<http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php<http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php>>?
          searchterm=00273

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
            All right.... whoever is in charge, don't know why this is happening. Hopefully is is only happening on my machine.
            You will see where the link duplicates itself, just cut off the second repeat and do the first, cut, copy paste, type, whatever. This is critical!
            Iris Nevins
            http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/?alertid=11980321<http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/?alertid=11980321>

            *

          • Del
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
              here is a page with updated info on it
              http://orphanworks.blogspot.com/
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
                Thanks for the link Del

                think about it... how many times have we seen our papers on a box or a book jacket and called the art dept. of the company and they say.... oh someone must have cut off the stamp on back, how did we know it was yours. They used to get so afraid once you could prove it yours that they'd pay, maybe even pay damages. I can't believe all the times that happened to me, so many in fact I keep a form letter on my computer and just change the names. I also cannot imagine having to pay up to $200 just to have rights to my own work. We made such great progress in the past decades, why would they do this now? Everyone here, whether a professional marbler or not should write to congress, your paper could end up used on who knows what and you won't be paid, but the designer or the art dept. that say, puts together a book jacket or package design using your paper as background WILL be paid, and very well, using YOUR work.