Re: pigment Dyes

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2008
      which dyes in particular and how do you set them to make them permanent? do you
      still use alum for the mordanting agent. I am doing silk scarves with acrylic paints at
      present and get really frustrated in particular with the black, trying to get it to float and
      to really look black, rather than grey.

      Dharma has 7 dyes on their page for silk.

      thanks for any information.
      Sue
    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
        I went back to Dharma and looked some more and found the one they were
        talking about. It says it can be heat set. they are as much money or more than
        the acrylics, but sounds like they give bright colors, so I might order
        some to try them.

        http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1930-AA.shtml?lnav=dyes.html

        does anyone know the correct dilution rate for Photo Flo
        200 for use as a dispersant? Is it 1/1 1/10 or 1/100 for instance? I
        bought two large bottles of it and it says 1 TBSP will make 15 gallons for
        photography use.

        Here's the link if you need it:
        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/28195-
        REG/Kodak_1464510_Photo_Flo_200_Solution.html

        it's the best place I've found for buying Photo Flo so far. I had bought a little
        bottle of it from Diane Maurer, but it doesn't say what the dilution
        factor is and she is apparently out of town right now. Thanks for any
        help. I've done 4 dozen long scarves so far using acrylic paint and
        sometimes carageen and sometimes methocel for the gel. I'm getting ready
        to do some square scarves now. I did some men's bandannas and some fabric
        for quilting also.

        I've used the Golden Fluid acrylics as well as other brandsof acrylics and used the
        GAC 900 in them for a softer hand as I read on Golden's site.

        Several colors I have good luck with - the main one that gives me trouble for some
        reason is the black. I've also used the Jacquard airbrush colors and like them a lot.

        I've moved everything inside - winter is here already - so we'll see if that makes a
        difference. I was doing the scarves in a tent in my backyard for the messiness. I've
        done 4 dozen long scarves so far and some men's bandannas and some cotton
        fabric. I'm getting ready to do the large square scarves now.

        Thanks Sue