Re: [Marbling] Re: Sinking colors

  • David Maisterra
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
      I never marble scarves in my life... but the only thing I can say for my experience, is that if you make a lot of marbles, at one time or another some colors starts to condense or crack and others simply fall to the bottom... In my case I know it´s becouse the alum starts to take place in the carrageen medium, and if I´m hurried (and I can´t make a new carrageen medium) can add a minimum quantity of a -borax solution- to solve the problem momentarily (adding secuencialy to much borax maybe it´s more expensive than make new medium, and requires a bit of care, otherwise the colors will begin to flow out from the paper).
      For the other question now my paints works very well, and all of them sprea
      d in the same way, and use like a dispersant-surfactant the classical ox-gall, bearing in mind that the backgound colors needs more surfactant than the top colors. I have bad experience with a lot of paints, and I now that paints I use it´s only exported to Europe, so it´s not gonna be a solution... I don´t know all the brand names of paints you said, but the winsor & newton acrilic colours works fine to me, with the disadvantage that is too much expensive here that paints (I don´t know over there), and cannot used it.
      I hope have more luck than my father, and have in the future more hair than him jaj, by now I´m saved...
      Good Luck!

      David Maisterra

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
        It's different from day to day. One day the color will spread just fine, the next day it
        sinks. Maybe it is from the alum from the scarves transferring to the solution. I have
        some borax, so could try that. I have some borax and water mixed up already as an
        experiment to see if it affected the solution, but hadn't used it yet. I use borax to
        wash my clothes in now.
        Thanks
        Sue
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
          One thing to make sure of is that you make the size the same each time. If a little too thick it can keep colors from spreading well. Also temperature will affect it. If cold, it spreads less too.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
            RE: If cold, it spreads less too.

            That was one of the problems. I have it outside in a tent for now and when we
            started the other day, the size was really cold. Once the ambient air temperature
            warmed up and the size warmed up, it started working better. I'll have to move it
            inside soon.
            Sue
          • gretchen vansant
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
              Its very important that all paints,size ,or anything else involved be the same temperature. All tools clean. all paints,size,alum be fresh or near fresh. And a humidifier going in the room on hot humid days.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
                Hot Humid days are the killer factor for me, if I could I'd close up and stop marbling all summer! the rest of it, much easier to cope with. Somehow running air conditioners and dehumidifiers isn't the same as a cool crisp dry day. That said, I have known a few who LOVED the humidity, swore it made the marbling better!

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
                  Re: Hot Humid days are the killer factor for me, if I could I'd close up and stop
                  marbling all summer! the rest of it, much easier to cope with. Somehow running air
                  conditioners and dehumidifiers isn't the same as a cool crisp dry day. That said, I
                  have known a few who LOVED the humidity, swore it made the marbling better!

                  That's definitely not the problem here. It's 65 to 75 right now, but we have almost no
                  humidity here year round, just a little in the Summer. It rained most of the month of
                  July and I was too busy to do anything then, so I hope this weather hold for awhile -
                  I'm not looking forward to the snow. The Canadian Geese are already flying out for
                  the winter though.
                  Sue