Re: [Marbling] Re: Sinking colors

  • John Goode
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1 7:38 PM
      Hi Sue
      Exactly Which colors are sinking?
      And which ones are floating?
      I hope to help,
      Thanks JG

      On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

      > I've been doing scarves lately and have done a lot of paper before that.
      > My main
      > frustration is sinking colors. I've used both Golden fluid acrylic colors
      > and Jacquard
      > airbrush colors. It seems to be the luck of the draw or something. One day
      > I mix
      > them and they float just fine and the next day they sink. It may be also
      > like someone
      > else said somewhere the order they are added to the tank. I hate to keep
      > wasting so
      > much paint since it's expensive. Most of the scarves are turning out very
      > well. I've
      > only had a couple turn out so pale that I am going to overmarble them
      >
      > I put the paint in a bottle, then add water and test it. It if sinks, I use
      > Golden Fluid
      > Acrylic Flow release or photo flo or thinned down synthrapol - NOT all
      > together. I
      > don't know if any of you have suggestions, other than to keep
      > experimenting. Other
      > paints have too much surfactant without adding anything other than water
      > they
      > spread so much you also most can't see the color. I ordered some GAC 100
      > which
      > is supposed to help those colors.
      >
      > I talked to Mark Townsend at Golden Paints and he laughed and said that's
      > why
      > marbling is addicting and frustrating at the same time. Like Iris said, its
      > a good thing
      > I have a lot of hair.
      >
      > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      > Sue

    • David Maisterra
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1 8:21 PM
        I never marble scarves in my life... but the only thing I can say for my experience, is that if you make a lot of marbles, at one time or another some colors starts to condense or crack and others simply fall to the bottom... In my case I know it´s becouse the alum starts to take place in the carrageen medium, and if I´m hurried (and I can´t make a new carrageen medium) can add a minimum quantity of a -borax solution- to solve the problem momentarily (adding secuencialy to much borax maybe it´s more expensive than make new medium, and requires a bit of care, otherwise the colors will begin to flow out from the paper).
        For the other question now my paints works very well, and all of them sprea
        d in the same way, and use like a dispersant-surfactant the classical ox-gall, bearing in mind that the backgound colors needs more surfactant than the top colors. I have bad experience with a lot of paints, and I now that paints I use it´s only exported to Europe, so it´s not gonna be a solution... I don´t know all the brand names of paints you said, but the winsor & newton acrilic colours works fine to me, with the disadvantage that is too much expensive here that paints (I don´t know over there), and cannot used it.
        I hope have more luck than my father, and have in the future more hair than him jaj, by now I´m saved...
        Good Luck!

        David Maisterra

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2 12:15 PM
          It's different from day to day. One day the color will spread just fine, the next day it
          sinks. Maybe it is from the alum from the scarves transferring to the solution. I have
          some borax, so could try that. I have some borax and water mixed up already as an
          experiment to see if it affected the solution, but hadn't used it yet. I use borax to
          wash my clothes in now.
          Thanks
          Sue
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2 12:28 PM
            One thing to make sure of is that you make the size the same each time. If a little too thick it can keep colors from spreading well. Also temperature will affect it. If cold, it spreads less too.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3 9:38 AM
              RE: If cold, it spreads less too.

              That was one of the problems. I have it outside in a tent for now and when we
              started the other day, the size was really cold. Once the ambient air temperature
              warmed up and the size warmed up, it started working better. I'll have to move it
              inside soon.
              Sue
            • gretchen vansant
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3 4:34 PM
                Its very important that all paints,size ,or anything else involved be the same temperature. All tools clean. all paints,size,alum be fresh or near fresh. And a humidifier going in the room on hot humid days.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3 5:22 PM
                  Hot Humid days are the killer factor for me, if I could I'd close up and stop marbling all summer! the rest of it, much easier to cope with. Somehow running air conditioners and dehumidifiers isn't the same as a cool crisp dry day. That said, I have known a few who LOVED the humidity, swore it made the marbling better!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4 8:49 PM
                    Re: Hot Humid days are the killer factor for me, if I could I'd close up and stop
                    marbling all summer! the rest of it, much easier to cope with. Somehow running air
                    conditioners and dehumidifiers isn't the same as a cool crisp dry day. That said, I
                    have known a few who LOVED the humidity, swore it made the marbling better!

                    That's definitely not the problem here. It's 65 to 75 right now, but we have almost no
                    humidity here year round, just a little in the Summer. It rained most of the month of
                    July and I was too busy to do anything then, so I hope this weather hold for awhile -
                    I'm not looking forward to the snow. The Canadian Geese are already flying out for
                    the winter though.
                    Sue