Re: [Marbling] New Book: DER VOLLKOMMNE PAPIERFÄ RBER: THE ACCOMPLISHED PAPER COLORER.

  • sundaram srikkanth
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2008
      Hi
      I am from india and a hand made paper maker.i am a beginner in marbling can this book enough knowledge to start marbling. will natural colours and pigments work in marbling.

      srikkanth

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2008
        Hi Iris,

        Yes there appears to be one chapter, although it does seem to be the
        longest section of the book. I've not seen the volume yet.

        Jake

        > Looks nice.... do you know how much marbling info is in there? Looks
        like a short chapter? the other types of paper are interesting too,
        just curious.

        > Iris Nevins
        > www.marblingpaper.com

      • Jake Benson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
          Srikkanth, I have not seen this book yet, but I don't think it may be
          what you are looking for, as it's a translation of a German historical
          text. As far as preparing natural colors, I think that the rich
          painting traditions of India that still use these colors would be your
          best resource. Where do you live in India? Do you know any traditional
          painters?

          There are also some books from Turkey that describe the process of
          mulling pigments, and the same information can be found in some
          contemporary artists manuals. On the other hand, these may describe
          other materials that you don't have access to, like gum tragacanth for
          your size. In India, they historically used methi- fenugreek seed
          (Trigonellum fœnugræcum) as a size; and ritha or aritha- what we
          call"soapberry" or "soapnut" (Sapindus mukurossi)- to float the colors
          instead of ox gall.

          Jake Benson

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, sundaram srikkanth
          <srikkanthsundaram@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          > I am from india and a hand made paper maker. I am a beginner in
          marbling can this book enough knowledge to start marbling. will natural
          colours and pigments work in marbling.

          > srikkanth

        • anthonianthonianthoni
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2012
            Dear sir:
            I have a copy of this little book, and the short answer is..... No.
            For a start, despite the fact that the book's longest section is on marbling, it's instructions are very vague, and only describe the making of the simplest of patterns ( the famous combed marbles aren't even described! ). Secondly, many of the methods and ingredients are -severely- outdated. For example, hardly anyone marbles on tragacanth anymore , and likewise , the colours used are not only troublesome to prepare, but some of them outright dangerous ( the blue calls for indigo and .... Sulfuric acid)

            However,you can use natural pigments for marbling. The thing is,that some of them tend to be very expensive (carmine ), and others not lightfast. However, the earth colours, like ochre are not only cheap , but are very lightfast . They were used in the 18thc. , and I still use them today with much success.

            Best wishes:

            Anthony