Re: [Marbling] New Book: DER VOLLKOMMNE PAPIERFÄRBER : THE ACCOMPLISHED PAPER COLORER.

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2008
      Looks nice.... do you know how much marbling info is in there? Looks like a short chapter? the other types of paper are interesting too, just curious.

      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2008
        Hi
        I am from india and a hand made paper maker.i am a beginner in marbling can this book enough knowledge to start marbling. will natural colours and pigments work in marbling.

        srikkanth

[...]

        Connect with friends all over the world. Get Yahoo! India Messenger at http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/?wm=n/

      • Jake Benson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2008
          Hi Iris,

          Yes there appears to be one chapter, although it does seem to be the
          longest section of the book. I've not seen the volume yet.

          Jake

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
            Srikkanth, I have not seen this book yet, but I don't think it may be
            what you are looking for, as it's a translation of a German historical
            text. As far as preparing natural colors, I think that the rich
            painting traditions of India that still use these colors would be your
            best resource. Where do you live in India? Do you know any traditional
            painters?

            There are also some books from Turkey that describe the process of
            mulling pigments, and the same information can be found in some
            contemporary artists manuals. On the other hand, these may describe
            other materials that you don't have access to, like gum tragacanth for
            your size. In India, they historically used methi- fenugreek seed
            (Trigonellum fœnugræcum) as a size; and ritha or aritha- what we
            call"soapberry" or "soapnut" (Sapindus mukurossi)- to float the colors
            instead of ox gall.

            Jake Benson

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, sundaram srikkanth
            <srikkanthsundaram@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > I am from india and a hand made paper maker. I am a beginner in
            marbling can this book enough knowledge to start marbling. will natural
            colours and pigments work in marbling.

            > srikkanth

          • anthonianthonianthoni
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2012
              Dear sir:
              I have a copy of this little book, and the short answer is..... No.
              For a start, despite the fact that the book's longest section is on marbling, it's instructions are very vague, and only describe the making of the simplest of patterns ( the famous combed marbles aren't even described! ). Secondly, many of the methods and ingredients are -severely- outdated. For example, hardly anyone marbles on tragacanth anymore , and likewise , the colours used are not only troublesome to prepare, but some of them outright dangerous ( the blue calls for indigo and .... Sulfuric acid)

              However,you can use natural pigments for marbling. The thing is,that some of them tend to be very expensive (carmine ), and others not lightfast. However, the earth colours, like ochre are not only cheap , but are very lightfast . They were used in the 18thc. , and I still use them today with much success.

              Best wishes:

              Anthony