Negative Environmental Impact of Algae on Coral Reefs

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20 11:32 AM
      Thanks to Ingrid Weimann for bringing this article to my attention:

      http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/08/asia/coral.phpWhile teh article
      doesn;t dis

      It discusses the negative environmental impact of various algae
      species on coral reefs. One type known a Kappaphycus alvarezii is
      used to harvest carragheen. I had always thought that carragheen was
      extracted omes from Chondrus crispus seaweed. Apparently another
      variety of seaweed, Mastocarpus stellatus, is also a source for
      carragheen. While the article doesn't discuss the specific production
      of various types of carragheen (Kappa, Iota, and Lambda; the latter
      form used for marbling) from Kappaphycus alvarezii, it may very well
      be that some suppliers use this as their source.

      I do know that the various leading American companies have taken steps
      to "farm" their sticks of carragheen, which has less of an
      environmental impact. That said, this article shows that such
      practices are in no way universal.

      Jake Benson
    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 20 3:57 PM