RE: [Marbling] Pricing & Ethical Guideline & ©registration

  • Drees, Dedree
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2008
      Dear Group

      I highly encourage you to register your work. You can do it cheaply in unpublished groups before it starts floating around. At some point I shall describe my © infringement complaint on my new art blog http://ddreesart.wordpress.com/ .
      As I understand it from my Copyright Law class teacher at U of Baltimore, Jim Astrachan, Esq. who has done some fairly big deal cases, the difference between registering and not registering copyrights is that when you register you get not just actual damages when you win a law suit but statutory damages of between $750 and $30,000 per count plus attorneys fees. If you hadn’t noticed, most people can’t afford to sue without registering. Astrachan handled the case of an artist I know, Dave Phillips, who makes maze books. Someone had posted his mazes on line, a lot of them, and then did not respond to cease and desist. I think he won the full $30000 per count for quite a number of designs. And then of course Jim Astrachan is pretty good.

      Below some of the law;

      The current law in the USA requires neither a notice of copyright (e.g., "Copyright 1997 Ronald B. Standler") nor registration of the work with the U.S. Copyright Office. 17 USC §§ 401(a), 407(a), 408(a). However, if a work does have a notice, then an infringer can not claim a "defense based on innocent infringement in mitigation of actual or statutory damages". 17 USC §401(d). And if a work is registered, then:
      the registration is prima facie evidence of the validity of the copyright in litigation for copyright infringement. 17 USC §410(c).
      the author may file suit for infringement of the copyright. 17 USC §411(a).
      the author may seek an award of statutory damages between US$ 750 and US$ 30 000 (i.e., the author is entitled to money from the infringer, without the author needing to show financial loss from the infringement). If the infringement was "willful", the statutory damages can go as high as US$ 150 000. 17 USC §§412, 504(c).
      a court may require the infringer to pay all of the attorney's fees of the author. 17 USC §§412, 505.

      This from the copyright office
      In general, copyright registration is a legal formality intended
      to make a public record of the basic facts of a particular copyright.
      However, registration is not a condition of copyright
      protection. Even though registration is not a requirement for
      protection, the copyright law provides several inducements
      or advantages to encourage copyright owners to make registration.
      Among these advantages are the following:
      • Registration establishes a public record of the copyright
      • Before an infringement suit may be filed in court, registration
      is necessary for works of U. S. origin.
      • If made before or within five years of publication, registration
      will establish prima facie evidence in court of
      the validity of the copyright and of the facts stated in
      the certificate.
      • If registration is made within three months after publication
      of the work or prior to an infringement of the work,
      statutory damages and attorney’s fees will be available to
      the copyright owner in court actions. Otherwise, only an
      award of actual damages and profits is available to the
      copyright owner.
      • Registration allows the owner of the copyright to record
      the registration with the U. S. Customs Service for protection
      against the importation of infringing copies. For
      additional information, go to the U. S. Customs and
      Border Protection website at www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import.
      Click on “Intellectual Property Rights.”
      Registration may be made at any time within the life of
      the copyright. Unlike the law before 1978, when a work has
      been registered in unpublished form, it is not necessary to
      make another registration when the work becomes published,
      although the copyright owner may register the published
      edition, if desired.