Re: Help with acrylic colours

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 13 11:19 AM
      sometimes you just need to find the right size or gel to use with the
      paints also. If they are water soluble, then the carageen or gum
      tragacanth should work, depending on what you can get over there.
      If they are oil based, you might be able to float them on water. You
      could also get something like GAC 900 from Golden paints to mix
      with all of them. Like Iris said, experiment with a small batch first.

      See if you can find out what the "base" of the dyes or the extender is
      and go from there.
      Sue
    • kirkiridis
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 15 7:19 AM
        Thanks to everyone for their advice regarding formula for marbling inks.

        Regrettably, very few companies in the States or Europe will deal with
        anyone on the African continent as the bulk of companies consider us a
        bunch of scamsters looking to take them for every cent.Those of us who
        are not scamsters have to just live with it.

        I am also looking -eventually - for large quantities - not the odd
        kilo here or there.I can get CMC,carageenan & pigments by the truck
        load if I wanted them.The problem is finding a reliable formula to
        carry the pigments.For me, that will entail hiring a lab to work their
        way through 30 odd different extenders currently available here to find
        the right one.I dont know whether its worth the effort and expense.

        Regards,
        Glenda in South Africa
      • enidadams
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 21 8:03 AM
          Glenda, sorry but there is no one easy formula or answer that always
          works for all people. Most marblers learn to adapt and make
          adjustments based on the type of size and colors, temperature and
          humidity. It may seem like a good idea to think ahead to needing large
          quantities, but why not try marbling with what you already have in
          large quantities or ready access to. The good news is, you will find
          many colors with different formulas can be made to "work" in different
          ways. You will find a very small amount of color can go a long way, so
          you may not need the large quantities that you think to get started.
          If you start with what you have and go from there, you will probably
          have a feel for which direction to go from there.

          The binders in textile pigments are more appropriate to fabrics than
          paper marbling colors, in that they have a softer hand and more
          flexibility. Their main difference from other acrylic colors, as you
          probably well know, is the heat setting requirement. You can get
          around this with an air cure catalyst and time, but on a surface other
          than fabric or paper I would recommend a sealer. For fabric colors on
          paper, I heat set them also. The baking sun of South Africa might do
          the job!

          Many of the colors you have on hand can probably be made to work, and
          you can intermix them to balance the ones that spread too much with the
          ones that spread too little. The main rule of thumb is that you are
          looking for a high pigment load with finely ground particles and
          relatively low viscosity. Since the colors need to be thinned to the
          consistency of cream, it's best not to start with a heavy bodied paint
          for screen printing that may have the same pigment load as an airbrush
          color or handpainting consistency, unless of course, the latter have so
          much dispersant they spread too much. If you have a ready source of
          aqueous dispersed pure pigments, combining these with ready-to-use
          paints can counteract the loss of intensity that occurs when thinning
          them. Second to that, professional grade tube acrylics can help boost
          pigment load. Don't expect lab people to test colors to the point that
          they perform to your standards, if you are an exacting marbler.

          Tube acrylics are very concentrated and have enough binder to hold when
          thinned without additional carrier. Professional grades have a higher
          pigment load than student grades, and are the better investment if
          shipping is a factor. If you looking for a binder to use with pure
          pigments on paper, try gum arabic.

          Good luck! Enid