Re:Help with acrylic colours

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
      Glenda,

      I agree with Iris. Acrylic media and formulas to make paint are not
      hard to come by, but you will have to experiment with the various
      formulas to find what works for you, the particular size that you
      would be using, and the specific fabric you would be marbling I only
      recommend that you chose a medium that is fine, more fluid than thick
      gel medium. Kremer Pigmente makes such an acrylic "dispersion" called
      K-19 that I have used with good results. It comes in both matte and
      glossy formulations. They should be able to ship to South Africa, but
      you may find a Lascaux or Pebeo product off the shelf that you can use
      for the same purpose.

      Annie Sloan has written a few books on making paint for a variety of
      applications. Many general artist manuals also contain this info.

      Jake Benson

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "kirkiridis" <amafu@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am new to the group and need some help- not with the colours but with
      > an actual formulation of marbling paints.
      >
      > I live in South Africa and marbling paints for textiles - in fact ANY
      > marbling paints - are unobtainable here. I need quantity so its
      > pointless me importing itty bitty quantities when I have gallons of
      > textile pigments and extender sitting in my storeroom.( I am a textile
      > screenprinter in my other life) I just need a reliable formulation that
      > will work with all the pigments.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      > Glenda in South AFrica.

    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
        sometimes you just need to find the right size or gel to use with the
        paints also. If they are water soluble, then the carageen or gum
        tragacanth should work, depending on what you can get over there.
        If they are oil based, you might be able to float them on water. You
        could also get something like GAC 900 from Golden paints to mix
        with all of them. Like Iris said, experiment with a small batch first.

        See if you can find out what the "base" of the dyes or the extender is
        and go from there.
        Sue
      • kirkiridis
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 15, 2008
          Thanks to everyone for their advice regarding formula for marbling inks.

          Regrettably, very few companies in the States or Europe will deal with
          anyone on the African continent as the bulk of companies consider us a
          bunch of scamsters looking to take them for every cent.Those of us who
          are not scamsters have to just live with it.

          I am also looking -eventually - for large quantities - not the odd
          kilo here or there.I can get CMC,carageenan & pigments by the truck
          load if I wanted them.The problem is finding a reliable formula to
          carry the pigments.For me, that will entail hiring a lab to work their
          way through 30 odd different extenders currently available here to find
          the right one.I dont know whether its worth the effort and expense.

          Regards,
          Glenda in South Africa
        • enidadams
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 21, 2008
            Glenda, sorry but there is no one easy formula or answer that always
            works for all people. Most marblers learn to adapt and make
            adjustments based on the type of size and colors, temperature and
            humidity. It may seem like a good idea to think ahead to needing large
            quantities, but why not try marbling with what you already have in
            large quantities or ready access to. The good news is, you will find
            many colors with different formulas can be made to "work" in different
            ways. You will find a very small amount of color can go a long way, so
            you may not need the large quantities that you think to get started.
            If you start with what you have and go from there, you will probably
            have a feel for which direction to go from there.

            The binders in textile pigments are more appropriate to fabrics than
            paper marbling colors, in that they have a softer hand and more
            flexibility. Their main difference from other acrylic colors, as you
            probably well know, is the heat setting requirement. You can get
            around this with an air cure catalyst and time, but on a surface other
            than fabric or paper I would recommend a sealer. For fabric colors on
            paper, I heat set them also. The baking sun of South Africa might do
            the job!

            Many of the colors you have on hand can probably be made to work, and
            you can intermix them to balance the ones that spread too much with the
            ones that spread too little. The main rule of thumb is that you are
            looking for a high pigment load with finely ground particles and
            relatively low viscosity. Since the colors need to be thinned to the
            consistency of cream, it's best not to start with a heavy bodied paint
            for screen printing that may have the same pigment load as an airbrush
            color or handpainting consistency, unless of course, the latter have so
            much dispersant they spread too much. If you have a ready source of
            aqueous dispersed pure pigments, combining these with ready-to-use
            paints can counteract the loss of intensity that occurs when thinning
            them. Second to that, professional grade tube acrylics can help boost
            pigment load. Don't expect lab people to test colors to the point that
            they perform to your standards, if you are an exacting marbler.

            Tube acrylics are very concentrated and have enough binder to hold when
            thinned without additional carrier. Professional grades have a higher
            pigment load than student grades, and are the better investment if
            shipping is a factor. If you looking for a binder to use with pure
            pigments on paper, try gum arabic.

            Good luck! Enid