Re: Konnyaku and problems searching the message archives

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
      Hi KJohn, I had actually suggested the possibility of using
      Konnyaku/konjac for size a few years ago. At that time, I learned
      that it has a very high glucomannan content. This is the same
      substance found in salep root (Orchis mascula), which has been used in
      Turkey, and was also praised by Halfer as a marbling size.

      Unfortunately, there is some kind of problem that persists when
      searching our group's archives. Some months ago I wrote to the Yahoo
      admin about this issue and got a canned reply. The results are very
      limited, and even using Google, I cannot seem to bring up all the
      results. I had listed a supplier for powdered konnyaku. I may have
      spelled it differently, but I am certain that I mentioned glucomannan
      content, and salep in the same post.

      Just now I tried a different search using the term IMG 2002, which is
      mentioned very early on in the archives. NOTHING came up as a result
      on the Yahoo message search. Using a Google advanced search targeting
      this group, a number of messages could be located, but for some
      reason, none of the earliest ones came up.

      Jake Benson

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "John Ang" <angchengsiew@...> wrote:

      > Greetings members,
      >
      > A marbling article featuring Mr. Masakazu Ando of Ando Chobo Account
      > Book Store in Ginza Japan.
      >
      > I enjoyed the video. I noticed he used Konnyaku powder for size.
      > Something I have never heard of but nevertheless interesting.
      >
      > Another interesting thing is his marbling colours. The article quoted
      > "The water pigments are prepared by melting them with alcohol and
      > water and letting them blend by mixing them occasionally with a bar
      > for at least three months"
      >
      > I wonder why it takes three months to prepare his colours. Anyone have
      > any idea as to why?
      >
      > Below is the link
      > <http://www.tokyochuo.net/issue/traditional/2004/09/english.html>

    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2008
        Back in 2004, I wrote about the possibility of using Konjac/Konniac/
        Konnyaku (Latin: Amorphophallus konjac and sometimes called "Devil's
        tongue' in English) as a marbling size.