Re: Ando Chobo Account Book Store

  • John Ang
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
      P.S. The Konnyaku size seems overly viscous.

      John Ang

      > I enjoyed the video. I noticed he used Konnyaku powder for size.
      > Something I have never heard of but nevertheless interesting.
      >
      > Another interesting thing is his marbling colours. The article quoted
      > "The water pigments are prepared by melting them with alcohol and
      > water and letting them blend by mixing them occasionally with a bar
      > for at least three months"
      >
      > I wonder why it takes three months to prepare his colours. Anyone have
      > any idea as to why?
      >
      > Below is the link
      > <http://www.tokyochuo.net/issue/traditional/2004/09/english.html>

    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
        Hi KJohn, I had actually suggested the possibility of using
        Konnyaku/konjac for size a few years ago. At that time, I learned
        that it has a very high glucomannan content. This is the same
        substance found in salep root (Orchis mascula), which has been used in
        Turkey, and was also praised by Halfer as a marbling size.

        Unfortunately, there is some kind of problem that persists when
        searching our group's archives. Some months ago I wrote to the Yahoo
        admin about this issue and got a canned reply. The results are very
        limited, and even using Google, I cannot seem to bring up all the
        results. I had listed a supplier for powdered konnyaku. I may have
        spelled it differently, but I am certain that I mentioned glucomannan
        content, and salep in the same post.

        Just now I tried a different search using the term IMG 2002, which is
        mentioned very early on in the archives. NOTHING came up as a result
        on the Yahoo message search. Using a Google advanced search targeting
        this group, a number of messages could be located, but for some
        reason, none of the earliest ones came up.

        Jake Benson

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2008
          Back in 2004, I wrote about the possibility of using Konjac/Konniac/
          Konnyaku (Latin: Amorphophallus konjac and sometimes called "Devil's
          tongue' in English) as a marbling size.