Ando Chobo Account Book Store

  • John Ang
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
      Greetings members,

      A marbling article featuring Mr. Masakazu Ando of Ando Chobo Account
      Book Store in Ginza Japan.

      I enjoyed the video. I noticed he used Konnyaku powder for size.
      Something I have never heard of but nevertheless interesting.

      Another interesting thing is his marbling colours. The article quoted
      "The water pigments are prepared by melting them with alcohol and
      water and letting them blend by mixing them occasionally with a bar
      for at least three months"

      I wonder why it takes three months to prepare his colours. Anyone have
      any idea as to why?

      Below is the link
      <http://www.tokyochuo.net/issue/traditional/2004/09/english.html>
    • John Ang
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
        P.S. The Konnyaku size seems overly viscous.

        John Ang

        > I enjoyed the video. I noticed he used Konnyaku powder for size.
        > Something I have never heard of but nevertheless interesting.
        >
        > Another interesting thing is his marbling colours. The article quoted
        > "The water pigments are prepared by melting them with alcohol and
        > water and letting them blend by mixing them occasionally with a bar
        > for at least three months"
        >
        > I wonder why it takes three months to prepare his colours. Anyone have
        > any idea as to why?
        >
        > Below is the link
        > <http://www.tokyochuo.net/issue/traditional/2004/09/english.html>

      • Jake Benson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
          Hi KJohn, I had actually suggested the possibility of using
          Konnyaku/konjac for size a few years ago. At that time, I learned
          that it has a very high glucomannan content. This is the same
          substance found in salep root (Orchis mascula), which has been used in
          Turkey, and was also praised by Halfer as a marbling size.

          Unfortunately, there is some kind of problem that persists when
          searching our group's archives. Some months ago I wrote to the Yahoo
          admin about this issue and got a canned reply. The results are very
          limited, and even using Google, I cannot seem to bring up all the
          results. I had listed a supplier for powdered konnyaku. I may have
          spelled it differently, but I am certain that I mentioned glucomannan
          content, and salep in the same post.

          Just now I tried a different search using the term IMG 2002, which is
          mentioned very early on in the archives. NOTHING came up as a result
          on the Yahoo message search. Using a Google advanced search targeting
          this group, a number of messages could be located, but for some
          reason, none of the earliest ones came up.

          Jake Benson

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2008
            Back in 2004, I wrote about the possibility of using Konjac/Konniac/
            Konnyaku (Latin: Amorphophallus konjac and sometimes called "Devil's
            tongue' in English) as a marbling size.