Re: [Marbling] marbling on fabric

  • carolhsur1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
      Pat,
      I am a hobby marbler and I have marbled on fabric and many marblers do also.
      It works very well (I have used cotton and silk scarves) - acutally sometimes
      easier than paper, especially on manageble sizes. I know you can get
      Carageen from a place called Wild Fiber in Santa Monica, CAlif. their phone
      # is 800-382-7067, website: www.wildfiber.com. they may not be the cheapest
      as they are a retail operation, but maybe you could squeeze the name of their
      source.
      Good luck and happy marbling
      Carol Hastings =)
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
        Sorry everyone.....I only highlighted and copied and pasted the parts
        referring to my own class....but for some reason a lot more things came
        through. They did not show on my own screen before sending! A mystery!

        Anyway, Peters Valley is a great place with lots of different offerings,
        many in book arts..........so enjoy!

        Best wishes,
        Iris Nevins
      • sewgd
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
          Thanks Carol, I'll check out wild fiber. I'm really enjoying what I doing
          so far and have had pretty good (beginners) luck. Glad to have found this
          group. Pat

          >I am a hobby marbler and I have marbled on fabric and many marblers do
          also.
          >It works very well (I have used cotton and silk scarves) - acutally
          sometimes
          >easier than paper, especially on manageble sizes. I know you can get
          >Carageen from a place called Wild Fiber in Santa Monica, CAlif. their
          phone
          ># is 800-382-7067, website: www.wildfiber.com. they may not be the
          cheapest
          >as they are a retail operation, but maybe you could squeeze the name of
          their
          >source.
          >Good luck and happy marbling
          >Carol Hastings =)
          >

          >Community email addresses:
          > Post message: Marbling@onelist.com
          >
          >Shortcut URL to this page:

          Shop online without a credit card
          http://www.rocketcash.com
          RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary
        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
            Be sure to check out all the past postings. There's a ton of info!
            And I'll take a moment now to ask the list what's new? For John in
            Sinagapore--how did your research go for marbling over in Oz? Besides Iris
            teaching a course, anyone else have some workshops on the go? And for those
            engaged in the paper exchange--what's that up to now?
            Jill
            > Thanks Carol, I'll check out wild fiber. I'm really enjoying what I doing
            > so far and have had pretty good (beginners) luck. Glad to have found this
            > group. Pat

          • John Ang Cheng Siew
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
              Hi everyone,

              Just came back from Australia,Melbourne a week ago. I didn't have a chance
              to see any marbling work in Melbourne except at a Sunday Market at St.
              Kilda Beach. A calligraphy stall was there selling its ware. The background
              used was marbled pattern. Unfortunately they were not handmade but printed.

              Did anyone noticed that the marbling list is one year old. The list was
              started on 25 Jan 2000.

              > And I'll take a moment now to ask the list what's new? For John in
              >Sinagapore--how did your research go for marbling over in Oz?

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              :)

              John Ang Cheng Siew
              My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
            • sidestreet@americanisp.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
                >And for those engaged in the paper exchange--what's that up to now?

                The paper exchange is a go. 16 people from around the world have
                signed up and I'm just waiting for the papers to come in. When I have
                everyone's I'll collate them and send them out again. I'll let you
                know how it all worked out when it's all finished.

                Marc
              • elena_silk
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
                  Hello,
                  i am very new to marbling, in fact i even didn't try it yet, but i do
                  silk paintings, and now i am going to try marbling on silk. Is there
                  anybody who tried it? Is it possible to achive large areas of solid
                  colors and just a few swirls on it? Can drops of colors be very big -
                  to cover larger area? Thank you for your help.
                  Elena.
                • marblehead@iwon.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2004
                    If you're looking for large areas of even, solid color, marbling is not the way to get them. However, you can marble on dyed and/or painted silk. If you want a single color background, just use dyed silk. For large spots or shapes of a solid color, paint them first. Then you can use surfactant, such as Photo-flo, o open up large areas in your marbled design for the background to show through.

                    ae

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 12, 2004
                      Hi, thank you for reply,
                      i have one more question - why colors do not spread evenly on the
                      base? i was experimenting with thinning/thickening base and colors,
                      the best result i got is that colors spread enough (3-4") but they
                      are very grainy especially in the middle. I am using Pebeo Marble
                      colors and Sodium Alginate for base.
                      thanks everyone for help
                      E.

                      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "" <marblehead@i...> wrote:

                      > If you're looking for large areas of even, solid color, marbling is
                      not the way to get them. However, you can marble on dyed and/or
                      painted silk. If you want a single color background, just use dyed
                      silk. For large spots or shapes of a solid color, paint them first.
                      Then you can use surfactant, such as Photo-flo, o open up large areas
                      in your marbled design for the background to show through.

                      > ae

                      href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling/">http://groups.yahoo.com
                      /group/Marbling/</a><br>
                      href="mailto:Marbling-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?