Re:Help with acrylic colours

  • momo
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 24, 2008
      I did promise I'd share my results. The black is definitely running. I
      really cannot figure out why. In my attempt to get better results, I
      went extreme and washed all trays, tools in boiling hot distilled
      water. Then I cleaned all the paint mixing jars with boiling water to
      which I added a cup of white vinegar, rinsed the jars then boiled them
      in clean distilled water for 1 hour.

      After this treatment, all the paints worked except the black.

      At this point, I am going to try making the black a tad bit thicker,
      and will report the results by late this weekend. All my other
      solutions are the consistency of medium cream. (I say medium as in
      heavy cream mixed with 1/2+1/2, which is a consistency I am familiar
      with in cooking).

      I am going to try to put some of the last results in the photo section
      of this group. I was pleased with them.

      momora

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

      > someone else suggested using Payne's Grey instead of black. I'm
      > going to try that next. One of the red's ran also.
    • kirkiridis
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 11, 2008
        Hi,
        I am new to the group and need some help- not with the colours but with
        an actual formulation of marbling paints.

        I live in South Africa and marbling paints for textiles - in fact ANY
        marbling paints - are unobtainable here. I need quantity so its
        pointless me importing itty bitty quantities when I have gallons of
        textile pigments and extender sitting in my storeroom.( I am a textile
        screenprinter in my other life) I just need a reliable formulation that
        will work with all the pigments.

        Any ideas?
        Glenda in South AFrica.
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
          That is really tricky without knowing what the manufacturer puts in besides pure pigments. Also what is in the extender etc. Your best bet is to just experiment until you find a way to make it work. If you need dispersant, Photo Flow is very good for acrylic. What size you are using will also make a difference.

          iris nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
            Glenda,

            I agree with Iris. Acrylic media and formulas to make paint are not
            hard to come by, but you will have to experiment with the various
            formulas to find what works for you, the particular size that you
            would be using, and the specific fabric you would be marbling I only
            recommend that you chose a medium that is fine, more fluid than thick
            gel medium. Kremer Pigmente makes such an acrylic "dispersion" called
            K-19 that I have used with good results. It comes in both matte and
            glossy formulations. They should be able to ship to South Africa, but
            you may find a Lascaux or Pebeo product off the shelf that you can use
            for the same purpose.

            Annie Sloan has written a few books on making paint for a variety of
            applications. Many general artist manuals also contain this info.

            Jake Benson

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "kirkiridis" <amafu@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I am new to the group and need some help- not with the colours but with
            > an actual formulation of marbling paints.
            >
            > I live in South Africa and marbling paints for textiles - in fact ANY
            > marbling paints - are unobtainable here. I need quantity so its
            > pointless me importing itty bitty quantities when I have gallons of
            > textile pigments and extender sitting in my storeroom.( I am a textile
            > screenprinter in my other life) I just need a reliable formulation that
            > will work with all the pigments.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            > Glenda in South AFrica.

          • Sue Cole
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
              sometimes you just need to find the right size or gel to use with the
              paints also. If they are water soluble, then the carageen or gum
              tragacanth should work, depending on what you can get over there.
              If they are oil based, you might be able to float them on water. You
              could also get something like GAC 900 from Golden paints to mix
              with all of them. Like Iris said, experiment with a small batch first.

              See if you can find out what the "base" of the dyes or the extender is
              and go from there.
              Sue
            • kirkiridis
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 15, 2008
                Thanks to everyone for their advice regarding formula for marbling inks.

                Regrettably, very few companies in the States or Europe will deal with
                anyone on the African continent as the bulk of companies consider us a
                bunch of scamsters looking to take them for every cent.Those of us who
                are not scamsters have to just live with it.

                I am also looking -eventually - for large quantities - not the odd
                kilo here or there.I can get CMC,carageenan & pigments by the truck
                load if I wanted them.The problem is finding a reliable formula to
                carry the pigments.For me, that will entail hiring a lab to work their
                way through 30 odd different extenders currently available here to find
                the right one.I dont know whether its worth the effort and expense.

                Regards,
                Glenda in South Africa
              • enidadams
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 21, 2008
                  Glenda, sorry but there is no one easy formula or answer that always
                  works for all people. Most marblers learn to adapt and make
                  adjustments based on the type of size and colors, temperature and
                  humidity. It may seem like a good idea to think ahead to needing large
                  quantities, but why not try marbling with what you already have in
                  large quantities or ready access to. The good news is, you will find
                  many colors with different formulas can be made to "work" in different
                  ways. You will find a very small amount of color can go a long way, so
                  you may not need the large quantities that you think to get started.
                  If you start with what you have and go from there, you will probably
                  have a feel for which direction to go from there.

                  The binders in textile pigments are more appropriate to fabrics than
                  paper marbling colors, in that they have a softer hand and more
                  flexibility. Their main difference from other acrylic colors, as you
                  probably well know, is the heat setting requirement. You can get
                  around this with an air cure catalyst and time, but on a surface other
                  than fabric or paper I would recommend a sealer. For fabric colors on
                  paper, I heat set them also. The baking sun of South Africa might do
                  the job!

                  Many of the colors you have on hand can probably be made to work, and
                  you can intermix them to balance the ones that spread too much with the
                  ones that spread too little. The main rule of thumb is that you are
                  looking for a high pigment load with finely ground particles and
                  relatively low viscosity. Since the colors need to be thinned to the
                  consistency of cream, it's best not to start with a heavy bodied paint
                  for screen printing that may have the same pigment load as an airbrush
                  color or handpainting consistency, unless of course, the latter have so
                  much dispersant they spread too much. If you have a ready source of
                  aqueous dispersed pure pigments, combining these with ready-to-use
                  paints can counteract the loss of intensity that occurs when thinning
                  them. Second to that, professional grade tube acrylics can help boost
                  pigment load. Don't expect lab people to test colors to the point that
                  they perform to your standards, if you are an exacting marbler.

                  Tube acrylics are very concentrated and have enough binder to hold when
                  thinned without additional carrier. Professional grades have a higher
                  pigment load than student grades, and are the better investment if
                  shipping is a factor. If you looking for a binder to use with pure
                  pigments on paper, try gum arabic.

                  Good luck! Enid