Re:Methyl Cellulose

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2008
      Sue,

      Sorry for my delayed reply. What you report sounds very unusual.
      Did the company send you those instructions for the preparation? I
      wonder if they inadvertently sent you something else, like paste that
      needs cooking?

      The CPS expressed as a range is also unusual to me. Most kinds of MC
      are very precise. Also the PH would have been raised sufficiently by
      the ammonia.

      Jake

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

      > www.volcanoarts.biz sells bookbinding and marbling supplies. I
      > started out with 4 tablespoons to a gallon, stirred it with a whisk in
      > distilled water for quite awhile, then added the tablespoon of clear,
      > non sudsing ammonia, and a teaspoon of white vinegar. At the
      > time, they were the only ones I knew who were selling Methyl
      > cellulose, so that's why I ordered it from them. I even added two
      > more tablespoons later of the mc , but it never did get thick.

    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2008
        those were the direction in a couple of books that I have. I have a
        pound of it, so would like to be able to use it. If you have any
        suggestions, I would be happy to listen to them.
        Sue