marbling on fabric

  • sewgd@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
      I'm new to the group and new to marbling but very interested in
      learning this art. Is anyone else marbling on fabric? If so I would
      like to hear from you. Also can anyone recommend a good source for
      carageenan? I'm going to need some in bulk. Thanks Pat
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
        I will be teaching Fabric Marbling at Peters Valley in Layton, NJ. Here is
        the course description:

        Home Workshops Blacksmithing Fiber/Surface Fiber/Weave
        Fine Metals Photography Woodworking Special Topics Site Map

        2001 Fiber - Surface Design Workshop Schedule

        Courses are listed in order of dates offered, for information on the
        instructor's go to the faculty biographies page . Online signups now
        available.

        Fabric Marbling - Iris Nevins

        Felting: Hats and Bags - Beth Beede

        Japanese Papermaking - Saaraliisa Ylitalo

        Surface Design and Collage Techniques with Paper and Fabric - Hollie Heller
        Ramsay

        Going Wild With Wax: Batik - Els van Baarle

        Painted Cloth and Improvisational Stitching - Ilze Aviks

        "Katazome": Japanese Paste-Resist Dyeing Technique - Kumiko Murashima

        Paper Lamps - Jennifer Morrow Wilson

        Finding Your Ideas Through Imagery – Painting with Silkscreens - Laura
        Strand

        Outsider Art Quilts - Susan Shie and James Acord

        Papermaking: Sheet Formation and Pulp Painting - Cynthia Lewis

        Radical Book Works: From Meaning to Structure - Douglas Beube

        Nassen: Color Rice Paste Resist Printing on Silk - Akemi Nakano Cohn

        Freestyle Embroidery: Stitching Ourselves - Elaine McBride

        Cold/Hot, Thick/Thin: A Comparative Look at Making Shibori in Various Dyes
        and Preparations - Joan Morris

        Discovery Through Process - Kerr Grabowski

        The Medieval Wooden Book - A Painted World - Susan Lightcap

        Silk Painting Basics - Sissi Siska

        Mixing Mediums in Silk Painting - Sissi Siska

        Dimensional Books: Lessons in Moveable Magic - Bonnie Stahlecker

        Paper: Pulp Spraying and Vacuum Table Work - Cynthia Lewis

        We are pleased to announce that we now offer on-line sign-ups using the
        Americart secure server. Go to the Fiber/Surface Design workshop sign-up
        page to signup online. You can also register by printing out the Workshop
        Application form and either faxing it or mailing it to us at (973)
        948-0011.

        For more information on class availability, phone us at (973) 948-5200, fax
        us at (973) 948-0011, or e-mail us at pv@....

        -----

        Fabric Marbling

        Iris Nevins
        May 11-12 (2 days)

        This workshop is a basic introduction to marbling as it has been practiced
        for many centuries, at least from the 700’s A.D. Using traditional
        materials and techniques, students will learn to marble on paper the first
        day, and fabric the second.
        Beginner to advanced. Tuition: $186.00 Lab Fee: $30.00

        peters valley
        craft education center
        19 Kuhn Road
        Layton, New Jersey 07851
        973-948-5200
        www.pvcrafts.org
      • carolhsur1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
          Pat,
          I am a hobby marbler and I have marbled on fabric and many marblers do also.
          It works very well (I have used cotton and silk scarves) - acutally sometimes
          easier than paper, especially on manageble sizes. I know you can get
          Carageen from a place called Wild Fiber in Santa Monica, CAlif. their phone
          # is 800-382-7067, website: www.wildfiber.com. they may not be the cheapest
          as they are a retail operation, but maybe you could squeeze the name of their
          source.
          Good luck and happy marbling
          Carol Hastings =)
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
            Sorry everyone.....I only highlighted and copied and pasted the parts
            referring to my own class....but for some reason a lot more things came
            through. They did not show on my own screen before sending! A mystery!

            Anyway, Peters Valley is a great place with lots of different offerings,
            many in book arts..........so enjoy!

            Best wishes,
            Iris Nevins
          • sewgd
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
              Thanks Carol, I'll check out wild fiber. I'm really enjoying what I doing
              so far and have had pretty good (beginners) luck. Glad to have found this
              group. Pat

              >I am a hobby marbler and I have marbled on fabric and many marblers do
              also.
              >It works very well (I have used cotton and silk scarves) - acutally
              sometimes
              >easier than paper, especially on manageble sizes. I know you can get
              >Carageen from a place called Wild Fiber in Santa Monica, CAlif. their
              phone
              ># is 800-382-7067, website: www.wildfiber.com. they may not be the
              cheapest
              >as they are a retail operation, but maybe you could squeeze the name of
              their
              >source.
              >Good luck and happy marbling
              >Carol Hastings =)
              >

              >Community email addresses:
              > Post message: Marbling@onelist.com
              >
              >Shortcut URL to this page:

              Shop online without a credit card
              http://www.rocketcash.com
              RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary
            • J Dolphin
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
                Be sure to check out all the past postings. There's a ton of info!
                And I'll take a moment now to ask the list what's new? For John in
                Sinagapore--how did your research go for marbling over in Oz? Besides Iris
                teaching a course, anyone else have some workshops on the go? And for those
                engaged in the paper exchange--what's that up to now?
                Jill
                > Thanks Carol, I'll check out wild fiber. I'm really enjoying what I doing
                > so far and have had pretty good (beginners) luck. Glad to have found this
                > group. Pat

              • John Ang Cheng Siew
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
                  Hi everyone,

                  Just came back from Australia,Melbourne a week ago. I didn't have a chance
                  to see any marbling work in Melbourne except at a Sunday Market at St.
                  Kilda Beach. A calligraphy stall was there selling its ware. The background
                  used was marbled pattern. Unfortunately they were not handmade but printed.

                  Did anyone noticed that the marbling list is one year old. The list was
                  started on 25 Jan 2000.

                  > And I'll take a moment now to ask the list what's new? For John in
                  >Sinagapore--how did your research go for marbling over in Oz?

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  :)

                  John Ang Cheng Siew
                  My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
                • sidestreet@americanisp.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2001
                    >And for those engaged in the paper exchange--what's that up to now?

                    The paper exchange is a go. 16 people from around the world have
                    signed up and I'm just waiting for the papers to come in. When I have
                    everyone's I'll collate them and send them out again. I'll let you
                    know how it all worked out when it's all finished.

                    Marc
                  • elena_silk
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
                      Hello,
                      i am very new to marbling, in fact i even didn't try it yet, but i do
                      silk paintings, and now i am going to try marbling on silk. Is there
                      anybody who tried it? Is it possible to achive large areas of solid
                      colors and just a few swirls on it? Can drops of colors be very big -
                      to cover larger area? Thank you for your help.
                      Elena.
                    • marblehead@iwon.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 10, 2004
                        If you're looking for large areas of even, solid color, marbling is not the way to get them. However, you can marble on dyed and/or painted silk. If you want a single color background, just use dyed silk. For large spots or shapes of a solid color, paint them first. Then you can use surfactant, such as Photo-flo, o open up large areas in your marbled design for the background to show through.

                        ae

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 12, 2004
                          Hi, thank you for reply,
                          i have one more question - why colors do not spread evenly on the
                          base? i was experimenting with thinning/thickening base and colors,
                          the best result i got is that colors spread enough (3-4") but they
                          are very grainy especially in the middle. I am using Pebeo Marble
                          colors and Sodium Alginate for base.
                          thanks everyone for help
                          E.

                          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "" <marblehead@i...> wrote:

                          > If you're looking for large areas of even, solid color, marbling is
                          not the way to get them. However, you can marble on dyed and/or
                          painted silk. If you want a single color background, just use dyed
                          silk. For large spots or shapes of a solid color, paint them first.
                          Then you can use surfactant, such as Photo-flo, o open up large areas
                          in your marbled design for the background to show through.

                          > ae

                          href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marbling/">http://groups.yahoo.com
                          /group/Marbling/</a><br>
                          href="mailto:Marbling-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?