Re:Methyl Cellulose

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2008
      I wrote awhile ago about some problems I was having with the
      Methyl Cellulose I had gotten from Volcano Arts. It wouldn't ever get
      thick, even when I used double the amount you were supposed to.

      I ordered some Methocel from Dharma Trading and this
      kind DOES get thick and very quickly as soon as I add
      the ammonia. So apparently the kind from Volcano arts
      is for bookbinding and gluing like it says because it
      never gets thick. I still managed to marble with it, but as
      several people observed, the lines are much finer with
      the carageenan.
      Would you know if the Pro Chemical methyl cellulose is
      any different or is there a kind you like better?
      Thanks
      Sue
    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
        Sue,

        Your experience that a "thin" methyl cell was used for gluing sounds
        very unusual to me. Grades like a4m and e4m can be made so thick that
        you can actually slice it(!) It makes me wonder just how you prepared
        it. What were the proportions that you used? Also, perhaps you used
        a heat-activated methyl cell instead of cold water dispersible?

        There are many vendors, but I had not heard of "Volcano arts" before.
        Dharma is used as a supplier by many acrylic marblers, as are Pro
        Chem and Earth Guild.

        Jake Benson

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

        > I wrote awhile ago about some problems I was having with the
        > Methyl Cellulose I had gotten from Volcano Arts. It wouldn't ever get
        > thick, even when I used double the amount you were supposed to.
        >
        > I ordered some Methocel from Dharma Trading and this
        > kind DOES get thick and very quickly as soon as I add
        > the ammonia. So apparently the kind from Volcano arts
        > is for bookbinding and gluing like it says because it
        > never gets thick. I still managed to marble with it, but as
        > several people observed, the lines are much finer with
        > the carageenan.
        > Would you know if the Pro Chemical methyl cellulose is
        > any different or is there a kind you like better?
        > Thanks
        > Sue

      • Sue Cole
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2008
          www.volcanoarts.biz sells bookbinding and marbling supplies. I
          started out with 4 tablespoons to a gallon, stirred it with a whisk in
          distilled water for quite awhile, then added the tablespoon of clear,
          non sudsing ammonia, and a teaspoon of white vinegar. At the
          time, they were the only ones I knew who were selling Methyl
          cellulose, so that's why I ordered it from them. I even added two
          more tablespoons later of the mc , but it never did get thick.

          Here's the link that describes it:
          <<http://www.volcanoarts.biz/cart/bookbinding/index.htm#Gluing>>

          I have 3 more packages of it, so if you have any suggestions for
          me, that would be great.

          I had used it in a bookbinding class to make paste paper and to add
          to pva. They are in Volcano, CA which is how they got the name.

          Later, I ordered the kind from Dharma trading and it got thick
          instantly, so there is a difference in the chemical makeup, but I don't
          know what the specific type difference is, other than I won't use it
          for marbling anymore. This is the last line in the description, if that
          helps you any: "Viscosity: 1900-2200 cps, pH 7.0."
          Volcano arts also sells marbling supplies, like texoprint and Galen
          Berry's and Peggy Skycrafts hand marbled papers and the beginner
          kit of combs and such.

          I did check the ph of the water that I used as someone else
          suggested. It's very definitely been a learning process doing this,
          but I'm stubborn, so I'm continuing.

          Thanks for any help. I'm in Fairbanks, AK, so its' not like I can just
          go to someone else who knows how to do it. There's only one other
          person here who has done marbling and she is only here part of the
          year, and not a "sharing" type of person.

          I have the dvd's from MImi and Peggy and I think every book on
          marbling, but doing it in real life is still different.

          I deidf some men's handkerchiefs yesterday and have done lots of
          paper by now. I just get frustrated sometimes, when things don't go
          the way they're "supposed" to.
          Sue
        • Jake Benson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2008
            Sue,

            Sorry for my delayed reply. What you report sounds very unusual.
            Did the company send you those instructions for the preparation? I
            wonder if they inadvertently sent you something else, like paste that
            needs cooking?

            The CPS expressed as a range is also unusual to me. Most kinds of MC
            are very precise. Also the PH would have been raised sufficiently by
            the ammonia.

            Jake

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 18, 2008
              those were the direction in a couple of books that I have. I have a
              pound of it, so would like to be able to use it. If you have any
              suggestions, I would be happy to listen to them.
              Sue