Re: [Marbling] Corn Starch Video

  • gretchen vansant
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2008
      wow john that was great!

      --- On Mon, 6/23/08, John Goode <watermarktile@...> wrote:

      From: John Goode <watermarktile@...>
      Subject: [Marbling] Corn Starch Video
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, June 23, 2008, 9:04 AM

      Hi
      I always get the question do you marble on corn starch?
      So this made me think of marbling freinds
      http://ellen. warnerbros. com/2008/ 02/steve_ spangler_ do_not_try_ this.php
      John

    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
        If you go to www.youtube.com there are several videos of people
        doing stuff like this and more with cornstarch. I forget the scientific
        word for when corstarch gets to this consistency. There's a couple
        where a guy filled a swimming pool with cornstarch and people walk
        around on it. If you stop, though, you will sink. Others are people
        doing sound wave experiments to make it jump around. Just put
        "corn starch science" or even corn starch in the search box at the
        top. You do not have to be a member.

        The first marbling that I did that I taught to a class of senior citizens
        was with liquid starch, which is essentially cornstarch with some
        borax in it and acrylic colors. I had to keep the costs down for this
        class and the papers all came out great and people had a good
        time.

        Now, I'm on to methyl cellulose, which I've had good and bad luck
        with and carageen gum.
        Sue
      • Sue Cole
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
          It's called "non-newtonian fluid" and here is the link to the guys
          walking in a big pool of it:
          <<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2XQ97XHjVw>>

          they mixed it in a cement mixer. Some people will do anything when
          they are bored.
          Sue
        • EDICIONES PERIFERIA
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
            Hola! I saw the videos and they are grate! It is possible to do marbling paper marmolado
            with this material?

            I´m from argentina!!!

            thanks!

            Jimena