Some advice re: acrylic marbling please

  • Cindy Leaders
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008
      Good Morning, Friends!

      I've actually been a member here for a while and have gleaned a lot
      from reading but haven't posted. I'm hoping you can help me with a
      problem.

      I have been marbling for almost a year and am becoming comfortable
      with the process. My colors are rich and I'm getting fewer and fewer
      ragged edges and spotty patches all the time. However, I cannot
      overcome one issue. No matter what, I ALWAYS have places in the size
      that will not take the paint. No matter how much paint I use, there
      are little crags and crevices that refuse color. So I've ALWAYS got
      white paper showing through in places. And often I don't WANT white!

      I marble with acrylic paints (mixed from Utrecht tube acrylics) on
      carrageenan size from Galen Berry. I am careful that my tools & tank
      (a plastic photo developing tray) are clean (I used white vinegar to
      clean some times, rinsed well with water, but generally use only
      water) and use distilled water because I'm on a well and have heavy
      water. I think I'm doing a thorough job skimming with newspaper. So
      I'm doing all I know to be careful.

      Galen was certain that putting a little acrylic gel medium in with the
      size would correct the issue, which he felt was a little oil in the
      carrageenan itself. Sadly it did not.

      Any suggestions? Perhaps I'm not cleaning well enough? I've seen
      folks (I think here) suggest using Dutch Cleanser but can't seem to
      locate that here in the deep south.

      Any help would be most appreciated.

      Cindy Leaders
      www.usefulbooks.etsy.com
    • susanne martin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008
        Have you tried using distilled water to mix with the carragheenan?

        Susanne
        ________________________________
        > To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
        > From: useful.books@...
        > Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:09:14 +0000
        > Subject: [Marbling] Some advice re: acrylic marbling please
        >

        > Good Morning, Friends!
        >
        > I've actually been a member here for a while and have gleaned a lot
        > from reading but haven't posted. I'm hoping you can help me with a
        > problem.
        >
        > I have been marbling for almost a year and am becoming comfortable
        > with the process. My colors are rich and I'm getting fewer and fewer
        > ragged edges and spotty patches all the time. However, I cannot
        > overcome one issue. No matter what, I ALWAYS have places in the size
        > that will not take the paint. No matter how much paint I use, there
        > are little crags and crevices that refuse color. So I've ALWAYS got
        > white paper showing through in places. And often I don't WANT white!
        >
        > I marble with acrylic paints (mixed from Utrecht tube acrylics) on
        > carrageenan size from Galen Berry. I am careful that my tools & tank
        > (a plastic photo developing tray) are clean (I used white vinegar to
        > clean some times, rinsed well with water, but generally use only
        > water) and use distilled water because I'm on a well and have heavy
        > water. I think I'm doing a thorough job skimming with newspaper. So
        > I'm doing all I know to be careful.
        >
        > Galen was certain that putting a little acrylic gel medium in with the
        > size would correct the issue, which he felt was a little oil in the
        > carrageenan itself. Sadly it did not.
        >
        > Any suggestions? Perhaps I'm not cleaning well enough? I've seen
        > folks (I think here) suggest using Dutch Cleanser but can't seem to
        > locate that here in the deep south.
        >
        > Any help would be most appreciated.
        >
        > Cindy Leaders
        > www.usefulbooks.etsy.com
        >

        > Messages in this topic
        Earn cashback on your purchases with Live Search - the search that pays you back!
        http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=earncashback
      • Cindy Leaders
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008
          Yes! I use distilled water for everything but cleaning.

          Thanks for the clarification.

          Cindy

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, susanne martin <alavee15@...> wrote:

          > Have you tried using distilled water to mix with the carragheenan?
          >
          > Susanne
          > ________________________________
          > > To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: useful.books@...
          > > Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:09:14 +0000
          > > Subject: [Marbling] Some advice re: acrylic marbling please
          > >

          > > Good Morning, Friends!
          > >
          > > I've actually been a member here for a while and have gleaned a lot
          > > from reading but haven't posted. I'm hoping you can help me with a
          > > problem.
          > >
          > > I have been marbling for almost a year and am becoming comfortable
          > > with the process. My colors are rich and I'm getting fewer and fewer
          > > ragged edges and spotty patches all the time. However, I cannot
          > > overcome one issue. No matter what, I ALWAYS have places in the size
          > > that will not take the paint. No matter how much paint I use, there
          > > are little crags and crevices that refuse color. So I've ALWAYS got
          > > white paper showing through in places. And often I don't WANT white!
          > >
          > > I marble with acrylic paints (mixed from Utrecht tube acrylics) on
          > > carrageenan size from Galen Berry. I am careful that my tools & tank
          > > (a plastic photo developing tray) are clean (I used white vinegar to
          > > clean some times, rinsed well with water, but generally use only
          > > water) and use distilled water because I'm on a well and have heavy
          > > water. I think I'm doing a thorough job skimming with newspaper. So
          > > I'm doing all I know to be careful.
          > >
          > > Galen was certain that putting a little acrylic gel medium in with the
          > > size would correct the issue, which he felt was a little oil in the
          > > carrageenan itself. Sadly it did not.
          > >
          > > Any suggestions? Perhaps I'm not cleaning well enough? I've seen
          > > folks (I think here) suggest using Dutch Cleanser but can't seem to
          > > locate that here in the deep south.
          > >
          > > Any help would be most appreciated.
          > >
          > > Cindy Leaders
          > > www.usefulbooks.etsy.com
          > >

          > > Messages in this topic
          > Earn cashback on your purchases with Live Search - the search that
          pays you back!

          http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=earncashback

        • John Goode
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008
            Hello
            You say "I think I'm doing a thorough job skimming with newspaper. So
            I'm doing all I know to be careful."
            This means you are skimming the size with a piece of newsprint?
            If that is so you may be causing roll under where the paint and trash
            alum is pushed into your size. Causing spots and dead zones that will
            not take paint/ ink.
            try laying a sheet of paper over the bath to pick up all the paint and
            layer of carrageenan giving you a fresh canvass to paint on next time.
            Other than that the size was mixed 24 hours in advance? and room temperature is?
            Hope this helps
            John

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2008
              I'll try that. Thanks, John.