RE: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

  • gretchen vansant
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
      Thomas ,Thank you, very interesting, I have noticed other marblers using different names. Actually I believe that post was awhile ago. As I haven't framed anything for awhile. But I'm back in my studio as of today working diligently. It was a good day ALL pieces are useful. Now I originally just stretched stapled. But I'm looking at some better ways to frame. i-e batting ,building a frame around....Everything in time...thanks for thinking of me. I will be considering all of my fabrics uses now that I'm back in gear....Peace Gretchen

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 11, 2008
        I've also heard it referred to as "hydroprinting"
        Sue
      • dguff
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
          I, too, haven't had much luck with red. Although it is not my favorite color, reds do seem to sell well (I only marbled silk scarves). I solved the problem by buying blank scarves in numerous colors (red, included) and then marbled using black, grey, and white and also whatever color the scarf blank was as my marbling colors. The results were vivid as the colored silk background served to emphasize the pattern. I marbled with acrylics and only on silk, satin, or taffeta. When marbling on cotton the colors just went "blah..." and faded. I was told by a textile artist that cotten absorbs the color while the silk reflects it.

          I have 3 books on marbling on fabric and just checked out Amazon and they are all available used for a reasonable price:
          Marbling Techniques: How to Create Traditional & Contemporary Designs on Paper & Fabric by Wendy Addison Medeiros
          Marbling Paper & Fabric by Carol Taylor
          Marbling on Fabric by Daniel & Paula Cohen

          There was another title (which I don't own) which looked promising:
          Creative Marbling on Fabric by Judy Simmons

          In looking through my 3 books, all used acrylics as the paint medium.

          Hope this information helps,

          d. guffey

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
            I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
              could you send me these 3 marbling book i want them in my search
            • marines bengoa
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                Hi Iris, Thank you for being so helpful.

                Does ceram coat changes the feel of the fabric. This  is my eternal concern!!!

                Marines

                I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                Iris Nevins
                www.marblingpaper. com<http://www.marbling paper.com/>

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                  No it leaves it soft.