Re:Marbling on Fabric

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 5, 2008
      thanks, which paints have you used, and which ones are you having
      trouble with. right now, I have Golden Fluid acrylics and Jacquard
      DyNaFlow that I am experimenting with.
      Sue
    • Thomas D' Aquin
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
        hello Gretchen, a few months ago you posted a message abojut an art exebition iin
        which you had several framed marblings, and which you were very disappoin ted.
        I would like to tell you about an art exibit whbich I went to aboujt twenty yhears ago in san diego.
        the exibit consisted of aboujt thirty framed paintings wbhich the artist listed as
        acrilic on paper. Over half the paintings were sold ast very good prices. the sizes were from 24 inches to over six feet. the artist was a lady fron Encenites, an upscale beach town n orth of san diego
        the lady's husband was a well known sports annojuncer. What was n ot m entikoned at
        the exibit was that the technique was marbling, which was very obvious to anyone
        familiar with this art.
        at that time, about 1989, marbling was not yet common knowle3dge.
        So, Gretchen, If you still hnave your framed marblings, try again to en ter an
        art exibit and instead of "marbling" use the word "floatation" as your technique.
        T. viavant

        To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

        Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda <marblers2008@...> wrote:From: Linda <marblers2008@...>Subject: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on FabricTo: Marbling@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, June 1, 2008, 9:40 AMHi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let mechime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it forpennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fatquarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lostout on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to doanother "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you arelucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have tosell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale atfive dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting tosee how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay thewholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resellit for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have alarge inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors(which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, butthese are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend themoney (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars onebay), but you can't support yourself on that.Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - andthis is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of yourquestions.Linda in Tucson-- Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art FabricsMarble-T Designhttp://www.marbledf ab.comCheck out our eBay auctions!http://members. ebay.com/ aboutme/marblers 76Blog: http://marbledmusin gs.blogspot. com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • gretchen vansant
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
          Thomas ,Thank you, very interesting, I have noticed other marblers using different names. Actually I believe that post was awhile ago. As I haven't framed anything for awhile. But I'm back in my studio as of today working diligently. It was a good day ALL pieces are useful. Now I originally just stretched stapled. But I'm looking at some better ways to frame. i-e batting ,building a frame around....Everything in time...thanks for thinking of me. I will be considering all of my fabrics uses now that I'm back in gear....Peace Gretchen

[...]

          To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun
          2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

          Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate
          marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who&nbsp;been doing
          lots of venues for years selling things made out of&nbsp;marbled silk. Its
          hard work...&nbsp;But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects
          and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all!
          Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;
          wrote:From: Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;Subject: [Marbling]
[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:Marbling-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:Marbling-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Sue Cole
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 11, 2008
            I've also heard it referred to as "hydroprinting"
            Sue
          • dguff
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
              I, too, haven't had much luck with red. Although it is not my favorite color, reds do seem to sell well (I only marbled silk scarves). I solved the problem by buying blank scarves in numerous colors (red, included) and then marbled using black, grey, and white and also whatever color the scarf blank was as my marbling colors. The results were vivid as the colored silk background served to emphasize the pattern. I marbled with acrylics and only on silk, satin, or taffeta. When marbling on cotton the colors just went "blah..." and faded. I was told by a textile artist that cotten absorbs the color while the silk reflects it.

              I have 3 books on marbling on fabric and just checked out Amazon and they are all available used for a reasonable price:
              Marbling Techniques: How to Create Traditional & Contemporary Designs on Paper & Fabric by Wendy Addison Medeiros
              Marbling Paper & Fabric by Carol Taylor
              Marbling on Fabric by Daniel & Paula Cohen

              There was another title (which I don't own) which looked promising:
              Creative Marbling on Fabric by Judy Simmons

              In looking through my 3 books, all used acrylics as the paint medium.

              Hope this information helps,

              d. guffey

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                  could you send me these 3 marbling book i want them in my search
                • marines bengoa
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                    Hi Iris, Thank you for being so helpful.

                    Does ceram coat changes the feel of the fabric. This  is my eternal concern!!!

                    Marines

                    I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                    Iris Nevins
                    www.marblingpaper. com<http://www.marbling paper.com/>

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                      No it leaves it soft.