Re:Marbling on Fabric

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi all - we have a plexiglass tray made about 13 years ago that is 3 feet by
      5 feet. Were we to do it over again, we would make it 4 feet by 5 feet, so
      we can do a full yard, rather than just a three-quarter piece. The tray has
      a petcock at one end, but it was made too small to really drain the tray -
      and it leaked, so we usually bail by hand - but when we set the big tray up,
      we do enough fabric so that we use most of the bath. With our current tray
      we can do three 8 in x 54 in scarves at a time, if we want to. The tray is
      heavy, but it stores pretty easily. We have several other trays made of wood
      that we can line with plastic that we can set up for custom work, but we
      don't do a lot of that anymore. We are searching for some new paints, as the
      acrylics we use aren't always consistent in color.

      Linda in Tucson
      --
      Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art Fabrics
      Marble-T Design
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi had one made of PVC over 20 years ago, it was seamed together by a local plastics company I found in the yellow pages. It has a drain and screwcap at one end, that hangs off the table and drains the old size into buckets when done. It is about 27" X 80" and was not cheap but I have had it over all these years and it's still good. I had other sizes made too for other things.

[...]

        http://www.marbledfab.com<http://www.marbledfab.com/>
        Check out our eBay auctions!
        http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76<http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76>
        Blog: http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com<http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com/>

      • onemarbler
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
          Very nice work, Linda! Also an attractive website.

          Lavinia> Linda in Tucson

          > --
          > Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art Fabrics
          > Marble-T Design
          > http://www.marbledfab.com
          > Check out our eBay auctions!
          > http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76
          > Blog: http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com

        • Sue Cole
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 5, 2008
            thanks, which paints have you used, and which ones are you having
            trouble with. right now, I have Golden Fluid acrylics and Jacquard
            DyNaFlow that I am experimenting with.
            Sue
          • Thomas D' Aquin
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
              hello Gretchen, a few months ago you posted a message abojut an art exebition iin
              which you had several framed marblings, and which you were very disappoin ted.
              I would like to tell you about an art exibit whbich I went to aboujt twenty yhears ago in san diego.
              the exibit consisted of aboujt thirty framed paintings wbhich the artist listed as
              acrilic on paper. Over half the paintings were sold ast very good prices. the sizes were from 24 inches to over six feet. the artist was a lady fron Encenites, an upscale beach town n orth of san diego
              the lady's husband was a well known sports annojuncer. What was n ot m entikoned at
              the exibit was that the technique was marbling, which was very obvious to anyone
              familiar with this art.
              at that time, about 1989, marbling was not yet common knowle3dge.
              So, Gretchen, If you still hnave your framed marblings, try again to en ter an
              art exibit and instead of "marbling" use the word "floatation" as your technique.
              T. viavant

              To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

              Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda <marblers2008@...> wrote:From: Linda <marblers2008@...>Subject: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on FabricTo: Marbling@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, June 1, 2008, 9:40 AMHi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let mechime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it forpennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fatquarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lostout on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to doanother "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you arelucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have tosell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale atfive dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting tosee how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay thewholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resellit for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have alarge inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors(which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, butthese are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend themoney (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars onebay), but you can't support yourself on that.Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - andthis is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of yourquestions.Linda in Tucson-- Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art FabricsMarble-T Designhttp://www.marbledf ab.comCheck out our eBay auctions!http://members. ebay.com/ aboutme/marblers 76Blog: http://marbledmusin gs.blogspot. com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • gretchen vansant
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                Thomas ,Thank you, very interesting, I have noticed other marblers using different names. Actually I believe that post was awhile ago. As I haven't framed anything for awhile. But I'm back in my studio as of today working diligently. It was a good day ALL pieces are useful. Now I originally just stretched stapled. But I'm looking at some better ways to frame. i-e batting ,building a frame around....Everything in time...thanks for thinking of me. I will be considering all of my fabrics uses now that I'm back in gear....Peace Gretchen

[...]

                To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun
                2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

                Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate
                marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who&nbsp;been doing
                lots of venues for years selling things made out of&nbsp;marbled silk. Its
                hard work...&nbsp;But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects
                and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all!
                Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;
                wrote:From: Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;Subject: [Marbling]
[...]

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:Marbling-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:Marbling-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Sue Cole
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 11, 2008
                  I've also heard it referred to as "hydroprinting"
                  Sue
                • dguff
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                    I, too, haven't had much luck with red. Although it is not my favorite color, reds do seem to sell well (I only marbled silk scarves). I solved the problem by buying blank scarves in numerous colors (red, included) and then marbled using black, grey, and white and also whatever color the scarf blank was as my marbling colors. The results were vivid as the colored silk background served to emphasize the pattern. I marbled with acrylics and only on silk, satin, or taffeta. When marbling on cotton the colors just went "blah..." and faded. I was told by a textile artist that cotten absorbs the color while the silk reflects it.

                    I have 3 books on marbling on fabric and just checked out Amazon and they are all available used for a reasonable price:
                    Marbling Techniques: How to Create Traditional & Contemporary Designs on Paper & Fabric by Wendy Addison Medeiros
                    Marbling Paper & Fabric by Carol Taylor
                    Marbling on Fabric by Daniel & Paula Cohen

                    There was another title (which I don't own) which looked promising:
                    Creative Marbling on Fabric by Judy Simmons

                    In looking through my 3 books, all used acrylics as the paint medium.

                    Hope this information helps,

                    d. guffey

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                      I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                        could you send me these 3 marbling book i want them in my search
                      • marines bengoa
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                          Hi Iris, Thank you for being so helpful.

                          Does ceram coat changes the feel of the fabric. This  is my eternal concern!!!

                          Marines

                          I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                          Iris Nevins
                          www.marblingpaper. com<http://www.marbling paper.com/>

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                            No it leaves it soft.