Re: [Marbling] Marbling on Fabric

  • dkmaurer1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , May 31 11:46 AM
      Hi Caryl and Friends,

      Just wanted to chime in here to say both my friend Nancy at Colophon and I
      sell Carrageenan and I think our bulk rates are better than the big guys prices.
      It would be great if you could help out your fellow marblers. I think we are
      all struggling in this dreadful economy! Also, my name is spelled Diane
      Maurer. You can see my prices and order a copy of The Ultimate Marbling Handbook or
      carrageenan by visiting my website www.dianemaurer.com

      Warm regards,
      Diane

    • Linda
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 1, 2008
        Hi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let me
        chime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it for
        pennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fat
        quarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lost
        out on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to do
        another "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.

        Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you are
        lucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have to
        sell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale at
        five dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.

        Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting to
        see how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay the
        wholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resell
        it for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have a
        large inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors
        (which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.

        We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, but
        these are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend the
        money (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars on
        ebay), but you can't support yourself on that.

        Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - and
        this is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of your
        questions.

        Linda in Tucson
        --
        Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art Fabrics
        Marble-T Design
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 1, 2008
          Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
            Hi all - we have a plexiglass tray made about 13 years ago that is 3 feet by
            5 feet. Were we to do it over again, we would make it 4 feet by 5 feet, so
            we can do a full yard, rather than just a three-quarter piece. The tray has
            a petcock at one end, but it was made too small to really drain the tray -
            and it leaked, so we usually bail by hand - but when we set the big tray up,
            we do enough fabric so that we use most of the bath. With our current tray
            we can do three 8 in x 54 in scarves at a time, if we want to. The tray is
            heavy, but it stores pretty easily. We have several other trays made of wood
            that we can line with plastic that we can set up for custom work, but we
            don't do a lot of that anymore. We are searching for some new paints, as the
            acrylics we use aren't always consistent in color.

            Linda in Tucson
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
              Hi had one made of PVC over 20 years ago, it was seamed together by a local plastics company I found in the yellow pages. It has a drain and screwcap at one end, that hangs off the table and drains the old size into buckets when done. It is about 27" X 80" and was not cheap but I have had it over all these years and it's still good. I had other sizes made too for other things.

[...]

              http://www.marbledfab.com<http://www.marbledfab.com/>
              Check out our eBay auctions!
              http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76<http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76>
              Blog: http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com<http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com/>

            • Sue Cole
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                Since you said you didn't mind answering questions, what did you
                make your tank out of for the scarves?

                What doi you use for the colors? I have been experimenting with
                Jacquard Dynaflow and Golden Fluid Acrylics so far. I have been
                having to learn pretty much by myself, so appreciate any and all
                suggestions. I have most of the books written on marbling and 2
                dvd's, which have been a great help. One by Peggy Skycraft and
                the other by Mimi Schleicher.

                Also, I looked at your blog and found lots of great ideas, since I also
                teach art.
                Thanks for any info,
                Sue Cole
                Fairbanks, AK
              • onemarbler
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Very nice work, Linda! Also an attractive website.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 5, 2008
                    thanks, which paints have you used, and which ones are you having
                    trouble with. right now, I have Golden Fluid acrylics and Jacquard
                    DyNaFlow that I am experimenting with.
                    Sue
                  • Thomas D' Aquin
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                      hello Gretchen, a few months ago you posted a message abojut an art exebition iin
                      which you had several framed marblings, and which you were very disappoin ted.
                      I would like to tell you about an art exibit whbich I went to aboujt twenty yhears ago in san diego.
                      the exibit consisted of aboujt thirty framed paintings wbhich the artist listed as
                      acrilic on paper. Over half the paintings were sold ast very good prices. the sizes were from 24 inches to over six feet. the artist was a lady fron Encenites, an upscale beach town n orth of san diego
                      the lady's husband was a well known sports annojuncer. What was n ot m entikoned at
                      the exibit was that the technique was marbling, which was very obvious to anyone
                      familiar with this art.
                      at that time, about 1989, marbling was not yet common knowle3dge.
                      So, Gretchen, If you still hnave your framed marblings, try again to en ter an
                      art exibit and instead of "marbling" use the word "floatation" as your technique.
                      T. viavant

                      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

                      Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda <marblers2008@...> wrote:From: Linda <marblers2008@...>Subject: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on FabricTo: Marbling@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, June 1, 2008, 9:40 AMHi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let mechime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it forpennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fatquarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lostout on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to doanother "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you arelucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have tosell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale atfive dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting tosee how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay thewholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resellit for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have alarge inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors(which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, butthese are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend themoney (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars onebay), but you can't support yourself on that.Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - andthis is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of yourquestions.Linda in Tucson-- Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art FabricsMarble-T Designhttp://www.marbledf ab.comCheck out our eBay auctions!http://members. ebay.com/ aboutme/marblers 76Blog: http://marbledmusin gs.blogspot. com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                    • gretchen vansant
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                        Thomas ,Thank you, very interesting, I have noticed other marblers using different names. Actually I believe that post was awhile ago. As I haven't framed anything for awhile. But I'm back in my studio as of today working diligently. It was a good day ALL pieces are useful. Now I originally just stretched stapled. But I'm looking at some better ways to frame. i-e batting ,building a frame around....Everything in time...thanks for thinking of me. I will be considering all of my fabrics uses now that I'm back in gear....Peace Gretchen

[...]

                        To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun
                        2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

                        Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate
                        marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who&nbsp;been doing
                        lots of venues for years selling things made out of&nbsp;marbled silk. Its
                        hard work...&nbsp;But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects
                        and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all!
                        Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;
                        wrote:From: Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;Subject: [Marbling]
[...]

                        <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                        mailto:Marbling-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        mailto:Marbling-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Sue Cole
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 11, 2008
                          I've also heard it referred to as "hydroprinting"
                          Sue
                        • dguff
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                            I, too, haven't had much luck with red. Although it is not my favorite color, reds do seem to sell well (I only marbled silk scarves). I solved the problem by buying blank scarves in numerous colors (red, included) and then marbled using black, grey, and white and also whatever color the scarf blank was as my marbling colors. The results were vivid as the colored silk background served to emphasize the pattern. I marbled with acrylics and only on silk, satin, or taffeta. When marbling on cotton the colors just went "blah..." and faded. I was told by a textile artist that cotten absorbs the color while the silk reflects it.

                            I have 3 books on marbling on fabric and just checked out Amazon and they are all available used for a reasonable price:
                            Marbling Techniques: How to Create Traditional & Contemporary Designs on Paper & Fabric by Wendy Addison Medeiros
                            Marbling Paper & Fabric by Carol Taylor
                            Marbling on Fabric by Daniel & Paula Cohen

                            There was another title (which I don't own) which looked promising:
                            Creative Marbling on Fabric by Judy Simmons

                            In looking through my 3 books, all used acrylics as the paint medium.

                            Hope this information helps,

                            d. guffey

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                              I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                could you send me these 3 marbling book i want them in my search
                              • marines bengoa
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                  Hi Iris, Thank you for being so helpful.

                                  Does ceram coat changes the feel of the fabric. This  is my eternal concern!!!

                                  Marines

                                  I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                                  Iris Nevins
                                  www.marblingpaper. com<http://www.marbling paper.com/>

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                    No it leaves it soft.