Re: [Marbling] Marbling on Fabric

  • TssEmb
    Message 1 of 26 , May 31, 2008
      To start off with I wish to dye some silk braid or ribbon. I want it to
      look like a variegated colors.

      What do I need to do for this process? Is there a tutorial on it somewhere
      online?

      Betty

      Message 2 of 26 , May 31, 2008
        Hi
        Dharma will have the dye and the info there too.
        John

      • TssEmb
        Message 3 of 26 , May 31, 2008
          Thank you.
          Betty

        • carylhanc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , May 31, 2008
            HI!
            I marble both paper and fabric, and I use Golden acrylic paints, or any other
            acrylic or fabric paint I can get my hands on, and methylcellulose. Either
            caragheenan or methylcellulose will support the paints, and every marblier
            will defend their choice to the death! Depending on where in the world you are,
            Dharma (California) or Pro-Chemical (New Jersey) will meet your needs, when
            you consider shipping. Both carry dyes, and fabric paints as well as alum and
            M/C or caragheenan. Both companies have excellent instructions on their
            website. I would also encourage you to get either Diane Mauler's book (Googol
            her name) - I think it is called "The Ultimate Book on Marbling." Another
            good book for starters is Laura Siam's book published as part of the Lark Weekend
            Crafter's series.

            I would also encourage you to practice with papers first rather than with
            fabric, if for no other reason than economics.

            Good luck and have fun!
            Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

            Message 5 of 26 , May 31, 2008
              Hi Caryl and Friends,

              Just wanted to chime in here to say both my friend Nancy at Colophon and I
              sell Carrageenan and I think our bulk rates are better than the big guys prices.
              It would be great if you could help out your fellow marblers. I think we are
              all struggling in this dreadful economy! Also, my name is spelled Diane
              Maurer. You can see my prices and order a copy of The Ultimate Marbling Handbook or
              carrageenan by visiting my website www.dianemaurer.com

              Warm regards,
              Diane

            • Linda
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 1, 2008
                Hi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let me
                chime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it for
                pennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fat
                quarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lost
                out on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to do
                another "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.

                Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you are
                lucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have to
                sell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale at
                five dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.

                Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting to
                see how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay the
                wholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resell
                it for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have a
                large inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors
                (which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.

                We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, but
                these are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend the
                money (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars on
                ebay), but you can't support yourself on that.

                Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - and
                this is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of your
                questions.

                Linda in Tucson
                --
                Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art Fabrics
                Marble-T Design
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 1, 2008
                  Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Hi all - we have a plexiglass tray made about 13 years ago that is 3 feet by
                    5 feet. Were we to do it over again, we would make it 4 feet by 5 feet, so
                    we can do a full yard, rather than just a three-quarter piece. The tray has
                    a petcock at one end, but it was made too small to really drain the tray -
                    and it leaked, so we usually bail by hand - but when we set the big tray up,
                    we do enough fabric so that we use most of the bath. With our current tray
                    we can do three 8 in x 54 in scarves at a time, if we want to. The tray is
                    heavy, but it stores pretty easily. We have several other trays made of wood
                    that we can line with plastic that we can set up for custom work, but we
                    don't do a lot of that anymore. We are searching for some new paints, as the
                    acrylics we use aren't always consistent in color.

                    Linda in Tucson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                      Hi had one made of PVC over 20 years ago, it was seamed together by a local plastics company I found in the yellow pages. It has a drain and screwcap at one end, that hangs off the table and drains the old size into buckets when done. It is about 27" X 80" and was not cheap but I have had it over all these years and it's still good. I had other sizes made too for other things.

[...]

                      http://www.marbledfab.com<http://www.marbledfab.com/>
                      Check out our eBay auctions!
                      http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76<http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76>
                      Blog: http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com<http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com/>

                    • Sue Cole
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                        Since you said you didn't mind answering questions, what did you
                        make your tank out of for the scarves?

                        What doi you use for the colors? I have been experimenting with
                        Jacquard Dynaflow and Golden Fluid Acrylics so far. I have been
                        having to learn pretty much by myself, so appreciate any and all
                        suggestions. I have most of the books written on marbling and 2
                        dvd's, which have been a great help. One by Peggy Skycraft and
                        the other by Mimi Schleicher.

                        Also, I looked at your blog and found lots of great ideas, since I also
                        teach art.
                        Thanks for any info,
                        Sue Cole
                        Fairbanks, AK
                      • onemarbler
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                          Very nice work, Linda! Also an attractive website.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 5, 2008
                            thanks, which paints have you used, and which ones are you having
                            trouble with. right now, I have Golden Fluid acrylics and Jacquard
                            DyNaFlow that I am experimenting with.
                            Sue
                          • Thomas D' Aquin
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                              hello Gretchen, a few months ago you posted a message abojut an art exebition iin
                              which you had several framed marblings, and which you were very disappoin ted.
                              I would like to tell you about an art exibit whbich I went to aboujt twenty yhears ago in san diego.
                              the exibit consisted of aboujt thirty framed paintings wbhich the artist listed as
                              acrilic on paper. Over half the paintings were sold ast very good prices. the sizes were from 24 inches to over six feet. the artist was a lady fron Encenites, an upscale beach town n orth of san diego
                              the lady's husband was a well known sports annojuncer. What was n ot m entikoned at
                              the exibit was that the technique was marbling, which was very obvious to anyone
                              familiar with this art.
                              at that time, about 1989, marbling was not yet common knowle3dge.
                              So, Gretchen, If you still hnave your framed marblings, try again to en ter an
                              art exibit and instead of "marbling" use the word "floatation" as your technique.
                              T. viavant

                              To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

                              Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda <marblers2008@...> wrote:From: Linda <marblers2008@...>Subject: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on FabricTo: Marbling@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, June 1, 2008, 9:40 AMHi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let mechime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it forpennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fatquarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lostout on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to doanother "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you arelucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have tosell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale atfive dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting tosee how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay thewholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resellit for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have alarge inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors(which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, butthese are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend themoney (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars onebay), but you can't support yourself on that.Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - andthis is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of yourquestions.Linda in Tucson-- Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art FabricsMarble-T Designhttp://www.marbledf ab.comCheck out our eBay auctions!http://members. ebay.com/ aboutme/marblers 76Blog: http://marbledmusin gs.blogspot. com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                            • gretchen vansant
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                                Thomas ,Thank you, very interesting, I have noticed other marblers using different names. Actually I believe that post was awhile ago. As I haven't framed anything for awhile. But I'm back in my studio as of today working diligently. It was a good day ALL pieces are useful. Now I originally just stretched stapled. But I'm looking at some better ways to frame. i-e batting ,building a frame around....Everything in time...thanks for thinking of me. I will be considering all of my fabrics uses now that I'm back in gear....Peace Gretchen

[...]

                                To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun
                                2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

                                Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate
                                marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who&nbsp;been doing
                                lots of venues for years selling things made out of&nbsp;marbled silk. Its
                                hard work...&nbsp;But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects
                                and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all!
                                Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;
                                wrote:From: Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;Subject: [Marbling]
[...]

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                mailto:Marbling-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                mailto:Marbling-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Sue Cole
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 11, 2008
                                  I've also heard it referred to as "hydroprinting"
                                  Sue
                                • dguff
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                    I, too, haven't had much luck with red. Although it is not my favorite color, reds do seem to sell well (I only marbled silk scarves). I solved the problem by buying blank scarves in numerous colors (red, included) and then marbled using black, grey, and white and also whatever color the scarf blank was as my marbling colors. The results were vivid as the colored silk background served to emphasize the pattern. I marbled with acrylics and only on silk, satin, or taffeta. When marbling on cotton the colors just went "blah..." and faded. I was told by a textile artist that cotten absorbs the color while the silk reflects it.

                                    I have 3 books on marbling on fabric and just checked out Amazon and they are all available used for a reasonable price:
                                    Marbling Techniques: How to Create Traditional & Contemporary Designs on Paper & Fabric by Wendy Addison Medeiros
                                    Marbling Paper & Fabric by Carol Taylor
                                    Marbling on Fabric by Daniel & Paula Cohen

                                    There was another title (which I don't own) which looked promising:
                                    Creative Marbling on Fabric by Judy Simmons

                                    In looking through my 3 books, all used acrylics as the paint medium.

                                    Hope this information helps,

                                    d. guffey

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                      I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                        could you send me these 3 marbling book i want them in my search
                                      • marines bengoa
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                          Hi Iris, Thank you for being so helpful.

                                          Does ceram coat changes the feel of the fabric. This  is my eternal concern!!!

                                          Marines

                                          I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                                          Iris Nevins
                                          www.marblingpaper. com<http://www.marbling paper.com/>

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                            No it leaves it soft.