Re: [Marbling] Marbling on Fabric

  • John Goode
    Message 1 of 26 , May 31, 2008
      I dont think quilters can get enough of it!
      Quilters buy fabrics and horde them away for that special project.
      I would say that is a great market to look into.
      John

      On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:43 AM, TssEmb <tssemb@...> wrote:
      > I have always loved the look of marbled fabrics. Is it still popular with
      > quilters?
      >
      > thank you for the tips.
      >
      > Betty

    • TssEmb
      Message 2 of 26 , May 31, 2008
        To start off with I wish to dye some silk braid or ribbon. I want it to
        look like a variegated colors.

        What do I need to do for this process? Is there a tutorial on it somewhere
        online?

        Betty

        >I dont think quilters can get enough of it!
        > Quilters buy fabrics and horde them away for that special project.
        > I would say that is a great market to look into.
        > John
        >
        > On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:43 AM, TssEmb <tssemb@...> wrote:
        >> I have always loved the look of marbled fabrics. Is it still popular with
        >> quilters?
        >>
        >> thank you for the tips.
        >>
        >> Betty

      • John Goode
        Message 3 of 26 , May 31, 2008
          Hi
          Dharma will have the dye and the info there too.
          John

        • TssEmb
          Message 4 of 26 , May 31, 2008
            Thank you.
            Betty

          • carylhanc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , May 31, 2008
              HI!
              I marble both paper and fabric, and I use Golden acrylic paints, or any other
              acrylic or fabric paint I can get my hands on, and methylcellulose. Either
              caragheenan or methylcellulose will support the paints, and every marblier
              will defend their choice to the death! Depending on where in the world you are,
              Dharma (California) or Pro-Chemical (New Jersey) will meet your needs, when
              you consider shipping. Both carry dyes, and fabric paints as well as alum and
              M/C or caragheenan. Both companies have excellent instructions on their
              website. I would also encourage you to get either Diane Mauler's book (Googol
              her name) - I think it is called "The Ultimate Book on Marbling." Another
              good book for starters is Laura Siam's book published as part of the Lark Weekend
              Crafter's series.

              I would also encourage you to practice with papers first rather than with
              fabric, if for no other reason than economics.

              Good luck and have fun!
              Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

              Message 6 of 26 , May 31, 2008
                Hi Caryl and Friends,

                Just wanted to chime in here to say both my friend Nancy at Colophon and I
                sell Carrageenan and I think our bulk rates are better than the big guys prices.
                It would be great if you could help out your fellow marblers. I think we are
                all struggling in this dreadful economy! Also, my name is spelled Diane
                Maurer. You can see my prices and order a copy of The Ultimate Marbling Handbook or
                carrageenan by visiting my website www.dianemaurer.com

                Warm regards,
                Diane

              • Linda
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 1, 2008
                  Hi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let me
                  chime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it for
                  pennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fat
                  quarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lost
                  out on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to do
                  another "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.

                  Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you are
                  lucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have to
                  sell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale at
                  five dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.

                  Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting to
                  see how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay the
                  wholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resell
                  it for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have a
                  large inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors
                  (which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.

                  We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, but
                  these are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend the
                  money (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars on
                  ebay), but you can't support yourself on that.

                  Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - and
                  this is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of your
                  questions.

                  Linda in Tucson
                  --
                  Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art Fabrics
                  Marble-T Design
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 1, 2008
                    Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                      Hi all - we have a plexiglass tray made about 13 years ago that is 3 feet by
                      5 feet. Were we to do it over again, we would make it 4 feet by 5 feet, so
                      we can do a full yard, rather than just a three-quarter piece. The tray has
                      a petcock at one end, but it was made too small to really drain the tray -
                      and it leaked, so we usually bail by hand - but when we set the big tray up,
                      we do enough fabric so that we use most of the bath. With our current tray
                      we can do three 8 in x 54 in scarves at a time, if we want to. The tray is
                      heavy, but it stores pretty easily. We have several other trays made of wood
                      that we can line with plastic that we can set up for custom work, but we
                      don't do a lot of that anymore. We are searching for some new paints, as the
                      acrylics we use aren't always consistent in color.

                      Linda in Tucson
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                        Hi had one made of PVC over 20 years ago, it was seamed together by a local plastics company I found in the yellow pages. It has a drain and screwcap at one end, that hangs off the table and drains the old size into buckets when done. It is about 27" X 80" and was not cheap but I have had it over all these years and it's still good. I had other sizes made too for other things.

[...]

                        http://www.marbledfab.com<http://www.marbledfab.com/>
                        Check out our eBay auctions!
                        http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76<http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/marblers76>
                        Blog: http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com<http://marbledmusings.blogspot.com/>

                      • Sue Cole
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                          Since you said you didn't mind answering questions, what did you
                          make your tank out of for the scarves?

                          What doi you use for the colors? I have been experimenting with
                          Jacquard Dynaflow and Golden Fluid Acrylics so far. I have been
                          having to learn pretty much by myself, so appreciate any and all
                          suggestions. I have most of the books written on marbling and 2
                          dvd's, which have been a great help. One by Peggy Skycraft and
                          the other by Mimi Schleicher.

                          Also, I looked at your blog and found lots of great ideas, since I also
                          teach art.
                          Thanks for any info,
                          Sue Cole
                          Fairbanks, AK
                        • onemarbler
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                            Very nice work, Linda! Also an attractive website.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 5, 2008
                              thanks, which paints have you used, and which ones are you having
                              trouble with. right now, I have Golden Fluid acrylics and Jacquard
                              DyNaFlow that I am experimenting with.
                              Sue
                            • Thomas D' Aquin
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                                hello Gretchen, a few months ago you posted a message abojut an art exebition iin
                                which you had several framed marblings, and which you were very disappoin ted.
                                I would like to tell you about an art exibit whbich I went to aboujt twenty yhears ago in san diego.
                                the exibit consisted of aboujt thirty framed paintings wbhich the artist listed as
                                acrilic on paper. Over half the paintings were sold ast very good prices. the sizes were from 24 inches to over six feet. the artist was a lady fron Encenites, an upscale beach town n orth of san diego
                                the lady's husband was a well known sports annojuncer. What was n ot m entikoned at
                                the exibit was that the technique was marbling, which was very obvious to anyone
                                familiar with this art.
                                at that time, about 1989, marbling was not yet common knowle3dge.
                                So, Gretchen, If you still hnave your framed marblings, try again to en ter an
                                art exibit and instead of "marbling" use the word "floatation" as your technique.
                                T. viavant

                                To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

                                Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who been doing lots of venues for years selling things made out of marbled silk. Its hard work... But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all! Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda <marblers2008@...> wrote:From: Linda <marblers2008@...>Subject: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on FabricTo: Marbling@yahoogroups.comDate: Sunday, June 1, 2008, 9:40 AMHi all - as someone who has marbled only fabric for over 16 years, let mechime in here - quilters love the fabric, but generally they want it forpennies. Most quilters are not willing to spend seven dollars for a fatquarter, 12-15 for a half yard. They equate it to dyed fabrics. We've lostout on doing classes because the quilters have said they don't want to doanother "dye" class. So prepare yourself for a lot of education.Putting your fabric in quilt shops - owners are even stingier - you arelucky to get it in on consignment, and owners are convinced they have tosell everything at twice what you are asking - so even if you wholesale atfive dollars a fat quarter, the shops want to sell it for 10.Also, I spent a year preparing for International Quilt Market, wanting tosee how the fabric would go. NOT ONE shop owner was willing to pay thewholesale price of $4 for a fat quarter, as they said they couldn't resellit for $8. Not a lot of originality on their part. Plus, having to have alarge inventory almost takes the joy out of marbling. And the distributors(which is how you want to go) wouldn't even stop and discuss.We have been successful getting our work in books and in juried shows, butthese are finished fiber art pieces. EXCELLENT art quilters will spend themoney (we currently have a half-yard of marbled silk going for 22 dollars onebay), but you can't support yourself on that.Don't want to burst a bubble, but you need to be aware of the market - andthis is experience talking. That said, I'm happy to answer any of yourquestions.Linda in Tucson-- Unique Fiber Art and Hand-Marbled Fine Art FabricsMarble-T Designhttp://www.marbledf ab.comCheck out our eBay auctions!http://members. ebay.com/ aboutme/marblers 76Blog: http://marbledmusin gs.blogspot. com[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                              • gretchen vansant
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 10, 2008
                                  Thomas ,Thank you, very interesting, I have noticed other marblers using different names. Actually I believe that post was awhile ago. As I haven't framed anything for awhile. But I'm back in my studio as of today working diligently. It was a good day ALL pieces are useful. Now I originally just stretched stapled. But I'm looking at some better ways to frame. i-e batting ,building a frame around....Everything in time...thanks for thinking of me. I will be considering all of my fabrics uses now that I'm back in gear....Peace Gretchen

[...]

                                  To: Marbling@yahoogroups.comFrom: fine_artist2002@...: Sun, 1 Jun
                                  2008 13:47:16 -0700Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re:Marbling on Fabric

                                  Interesting Linda and shes right. Most quiters are still afraid ,and aquate
                                  marbling with dying. I bumped into Micheal Kensington, who&nbsp;been doing
                                  lots of venues for years selling things made out of&nbsp;marbled silk. Its
                                  hard work...&nbsp;But perhaps you'll make some fabric for your projects
                                  and will not have the hassle of "marketing" Good luck to all!
                                  Gretchen--- On Sun, 6/1/08, Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;
                                  wrote:From: Linda &lt;marblers2008@...&gt;Subject: [Marbling]
[...]

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                  mailto:Marbling-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  mailto:Marbling-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • Sue Cole
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 11, 2008
                                    I've also heard it referred to as "hydroprinting"
                                    Sue
                                  • dguff
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                      I, too, haven't had much luck with red. Although it is not my favorite color, reds do seem to sell well (I only marbled silk scarves). I solved the problem by buying blank scarves in numerous colors (red, included) and then marbled using black, grey, and white and also whatever color the scarf blank was as my marbling colors. The results were vivid as the colored silk background served to emphasize the pattern. I marbled with acrylics and only on silk, satin, or taffeta. When marbling on cotton the colors just went "blah..." and faded. I was told by a textile artist that cotten absorbs the color while the silk reflects it.

                                      I have 3 books on marbling on fabric and just checked out Amazon and they are all available used for a reasonable price:
                                      Marbling Techniques: How to Create Traditional & Contemporary Designs on Paper & Fabric by Wendy Addison Medeiros
                                      Marbling Paper & Fabric by Carol Taylor
                                      Marbling on Fabric by Daniel & Paula Cohen

                                      There was another title (which I don't own) which looked promising:
                                      Creative Marbling on Fabric by Judy Simmons

                                      In looking through my 3 books, all used acrylics as the paint medium.

                                      Hope this information helps,

                                      d. guffey

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                        I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                          could you send me these 3 marbling book i want them in my search
                                        • marines bengoa
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                            Hi Iris, Thank you for being so helpful.

                                            Does ceram coat changes the feel of the fabric. This  is my eternal concern!!!

                                            Marines

                                            I get good red with cheap old ceram coat. Have not done it in a good while, and there are a few reds to try, I don't remember which, but at $1.00 or so try all!

                                            Iris Nevins
                                            www.marblingpaper. com<http://www.marbling paper.com/>

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 22, 2009
                                              No it leaves it soft.