Re: marbling with oils, photo-flo and a new book by Diane Maurer

  • dkmaurer1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      Although I am strictly a watercolor marbler these days, both Paul and I used
      photo-flo to disperse MAX oils some years ago. That is why they were
      recommended in The Ultimate Marbling Handbook. These oil paints are made by Grumbacher
      and are almost identical to conventional oil colors except that colors thin
      and clean up with tap water. With these, you don't need turpentine or mineral
      spirits. I wasn't thrilled with the results (not as exotic reticulation as you
      get with traditional oil paints,) but they didn't aggravate allergies or give
      the headaches I often got when working with turpentine and mineral spirits.
      They're still on the market in the Dick Blick catalog as well as through art
      stores.

      I still sell photo-flo in my marbling supply business to use with Boku Undo
      colors. I also still have copies of some of my books that have gone out of
      print and, as rare books, are selling for outrageous prices on Amazon. Please
      visit my website www.dianemaurer.com to see what I've been up to and to see my
      newest book Collage, Assemblage and Altered Art. Autographed and inscribed copies
      of all books listed are available.

      Warm regards,
      Diane Maurer