Re: [Marbling] Re: Photo-Flo

  • Dave Allen
    Message 1 of 8 , May 26, 2008
      Hi Sue,
      If Synthapol works then Dharma's Professional Textile Detergent will
      probably work as well.
      Photoflo was merely a very pure detergent although I see most people are
      calling synthapol a soap.

      They are both available from Dharma trading at
      http://www.dharmatrading.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=synthapol&quickjumpURL=&quickjumpURL2=
      I have never used Dharma but I have heard they are reliable.

      Dave Allen

      Sue Cole wrote:
      > The Kodak Photo Flo is getting very hard to find since most people
      > don't develop their photos themselves now that digital is here. I
      > have found that you can use Synthapol instead by Pro Chemical.
      > It's usually found at quilting shops and needs to be greatly diluted -
      > like one quarter tespoon to 12 oz of water, but it works.
      > Sue

      840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
      (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
    • John Goode
      Message 2 of 8 , May 26, 2008
        synthrapol is a soap or the way they sell it is....used to wash dye
        and or sizing out of fabric.
        Dish soap works almost as well for a lot less.
        I just bought some photo flo for 9.50 a pint..
        Now to attempt making a new ink.
        Have Fun Johnny( its 98 degrees here in TX ) ;(

        On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Dave Allen
        <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:
        > Hi Sue,
        > If Synthapol works then Dharma's Professional Textile Detergent will
        > probably work as well.
        > Photoflo was merely a very pure detergent although I see most people are
        > calling synthapol a soap.
        >
        > They are both available from Dharma trading at
        > http://www.dharmatrading.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=synthapol&quickjumpURL=&quickjumpURL2=
        > I have never used Dharma but I have heard they are reliable.
        >
        > Dave Allen
        >
        > Sue Cole wrote:
        >> The Kodak Photo Flo is getting very hard to find since most people
        >> don't develop their photos themselves now that digital is here. I
        >> have found that you can use Synthapol instead by Pro Chemical.
        >> It's usually found at quilting shops and needs to be greatly diluted -
        >> like one quarter tespoon to 12 oz of water, but it works.
        >> Sue
        >>

        > --
        > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
        > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
        > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

      • Carole Floate
        Message 3 of 8 , May 26, 2008
          Hi all, You can find photo flo at the following places. Calumet Photographic (Photo Flo) 1600 W. 16th Street Oak Brook, IL 60523
          630-860-7458

          1111 N. Cherry Avenue
          Chicago, IL 60622
          312-440-4920

          Hope this helps.
          Carole

          John Goode <watermarktile@...> wrote: synthrapol is a soap or the way they sell it is....used to wash dye

          <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:
          > Hi Sue,
          > If Synthapol works then Dharma's Professional Textile Detergent will
          > probably work as well.
          > Photoflo was merely a very pure detergent although I see most people are
          > calling synthapol a soap.
          >
          > They are both available from Dharma trading at
          > http://www.dharmatrading.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=synthapol&quickjumpURL=&quickjumpURL2=
          > I have never used Dharma but I have heard they are reliable.
          >
          > Dave Allen
          >
          > Sue Cole wrote:
          >> The Kodak Photo Flo is getting very hard to find since most people
          >> don't develop their photos themselves now that digital is here. I
          >> have found that you can use Synthapol instead by Pro Chemical.
          >> It's usually found at quilting shops and needs to be greatly diluted -
          >> like one quarter tespoon to 12 oz of water, but it works.
          >> Sue
          >>

          > --
          > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
          > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
          > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

          Carole A. Floate
          CF Turnings
          200 W. Witchwood Lane
          Lake Bluff, IL 60044
          P 847-295-2631
          F 847-295-2675

        • Jake Benson
          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2008
            B & H Photo has two sizes:

            16 Fluid Ounce:

            http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/28195-REG/Kodak_1464510_Photo_Flo_200_Solution.html

            1 Gallon:
            http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/28199-REG/Kodak_1464528_Photo_Flo_600_Solution.html

            They're also a great source for photo developing trays that can be
            used marbling on a smaller scale.

            Jake Benson
          • Sue Cole
            Message 5 of 8 , May 28, 2008
              when I was looking for Photo Flo on the internet, there was a
              comment from someone that " Synthrapol from Pro Chemical was a
              good substitute for Photo-Flow and a lot cheaper, although it was
              not advertised for that use and is found in quilting shops.", which is
              how I discovered it. So I went to the Pro Chemical site and looked it
              up, then later also found it on Dharma Trading.

              Then I went by a local quilt shop and they had it here for 3.43 a
              bottle, which should last a long time. It's very strong as a surfactant
              - you only use one quarter teaspoon to 12 oz of water to get 3 - 4"
              circles. When I used 1/2 tsp, I got 8" circles, so had to cut it in half
              again.

              I'm the research type, so I always check everything out.
              Sue
            • Sue Cole
              Message 6 of 8 , May 29, 2008
                thanks, I went there and ordered some today. For the trays, I found
                that you can use the box photo displays sold in the framing section
                of Michaels. They come in sizes from 8 x 10 up to 16 x 20 and are
                clear plastic and seamless.

                Your statement was correct. I only use the photo flo for acrylics and
                watercolors. I used paint thinner for the true oil colors, hadn't
                thought about trying the water soluble oils - will try them next. I have
                also used enamels on water - those work well. I used the Testor's
                brand enamels that you paint models with and have some Krylon
                liquid enamels that I haven't tried yet that come in small jars.
                Sue