marbling with oils

  • liverpoollil1937
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2008
      In Diane Maurer-Mathison's book "Paper Arts" she provides an article on
      Marbling Arts. Has anyone been successful using oil-based paints or
      inks? She also suggests using Photo-Flo 200, obtainable from her and
      also photographic shops.
      Carol
    • D or Jer Guffey
      Message 2 of 4 , May 25, 2008
        30 years ago I did oil paint marbling, but once I discovered acrylics I never went back. The only advantage to using oils is that you don't have to alum your paper. That said, there is nothing to recommend it. The paints have to be thinned with paint thinner and it is a messy procedure. Working with paint thinner is not healthy. The patterns are not as crisp as with acrylics.

        Oil paints penetrate the paper and bleed through to the other side. Acrylic (or watercolor) marbling requires that you alum the paper so that the pigments in the paints adhere to the surface of the paper. There is a chemical bond between the alum and the pigment which allows the color to stay on the surface of the paper. This also means that the back of the paper is clean, no color comes through.

        You should try it once, just to see if you like it. I see no need to add Photo-flo to oil paints, they float naturally and only need to be thinned with paint thinner (some people use turpentine).

        d. guffey

        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2008
          How is it possible to mix the oil based paints with Photo Flow at all.
          I have used Photo Flow in dark room processing several years ago - and
          it is water based/soluble.
          How can it then mix with oil based paints ??
        • Jake Benson
          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2008
            Erik, I think that Kodak Photo Flo is mainly used for marbling with
            acrylic colors, as well as the commercial Boko-Undo suminagashi
            marbling colors (which I understand are made with a PVA binder).

            Oil marbling generally uses solvents to thin the colors.

            Jake Benson