Re: Experiments

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2008
      I've been working woth the methyl cellulose size. I prepared two
      tanks - one smaller that I used Golden Fluid acrylics in. I have had
      to add quite a bit of water to the paints to make them float. They are
      working, but the size gets dirty very quickly, even with lots of
      skimming, because some of them are still sinking.

      In the other tank, I used Jaquard Dy Na Flow paints on. They work,
      but have a LOT of suractant in them already, so the colors have
      been coming out pale. I alumned all the papers. I was even able to
      make a spanish wave effect in the larger tank.

      One person said that Methyl cellulose and carrageenan gum sizes
      are like Fords and Chevys to people - some like one, some like the
      other. I have also read that carageenan gum makes sharper lines in
      the designs, and that some people even like a 50/50 mix of the two.
      Continuing on,
      Sue Cole
      Fairbanks, AK