Re: [Marbling] Re: marbling tank

  • D or Jer Guffey
    Message 1 of 10 , May 19, 2008
      Re:Marbling on Silk
      .

      Yes, you can marble silk on carragheen.in fact it is easier than on paper as the fabric floats down rarely leaving air bubbles. I marbled silk scarves for 10 years and had the same results on silk as on paper. I used Liquitex acrylics and you have to alum your silk prior to marbling. Put the silk in a solution of alum water and then hang to dry. When dry, iron smooth to eliminate all wrinkles. You can put bamboo skewers (cut slightly longer than the width of your scarf) in the two ends of the scarf.the bamboo will bow out and give you a handle to hold the two ends of the scarf above the bath. Gently let the center of the scarf touch the marbling, and then let the two ends descend.

      I made my marbling tank from 2 sets of 4 strips of lath to make a rectangle slightly larger than my scarves (which were 9" x 45"). One rectangle was just smaller than the other so that it fit inside of the larger one (picture a rectangle shaped embroidery hoop). I draped heavy mil plastic on the larger frame, and then inserted the smaller frame inside making the plastic taut between the two frames.

      Hope these hints help.

      d. guffey

    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 10 , May 20, 2008
        I'll try the bigger newspaper idea - I had also been using paper
        towels because they were more absorbant.

        But can you use the carrageenan for the silk scarves? Everything
        I've read so far says to use mc for the scarves.
        Thanks for any help
        Sue
      • D or Jer Guffey
        Message 3 of 10 , May 20, 2008
          Hi Sue,

          Acrylic paints work just fine with the silk. From the tube squeeze out 1 to 2 inches of paint, then add water to make it the correct consistency for marbling. Test the colors on paper before using on silk. If it works for paper, it will work on silk. Because the paint manufactures are continuously changing their formulas you never know ahead of time which colors will work and which won't. The three brands I've had the most success for are "Liquitex," "Utrecht," and Galen Berry's (which are pre-mixed). You can purchase Galen's from his website: http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/

          Good luck with your scarves,

          d. guffey

          Message 4 of 10 , May 20, 2008
            I mentioned before as well, I have good luck with the cheap stuff from the big craft stores or Walmarts etc. Ceram-Coat is one brand. You need to experiment, Dolores is right, they keep changing stuff on us, but find a good black, white, red, yellow and blue and mix the rest from those. You need to thin just a little if at all, they are not as thick as those in tubes.

            Acrylic paints work just fine with the silk. From the tube squeeze out 1 to 2 inches of paint, then add water to make it the correct consistency for marbling. Test the colors on paper before using on silk. If it works for paper, it will work on silk. Because the paint manufactures are continuously changing their formulas you never know ahead of time which colors will work and which won't. The three brands I've had the most success for are "Liquitex," "Utrecht," and Galen Berry's (which are pre-mixed). You can purchase Galen's from his website: http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/<http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/>

            Good luck with your scarves,

            d. guffey