Re: [Marbling] Re:marbling tank

  • John Goode
    Message 1 of 10 , May 18, 2008
      Sue
      I strongly suggest Carrageenan as a size your results will be so much
      more than MC as far as my experience goes.
      Also as far as cleaning the surface try a full piece of news print
      cover the size and pull all the trash off the surface do not try and
      use strips to clean until you are a master.The cleaning could be
      causing your problems now, as strips of paper will cause roll under
      which in turn contaminates the size.Then there is temperature and
      humidity one must control these to get adequate results.
      Hope this little more info helps.
      Johnny

      Message 2 of 10 , May 18, 2008
        No argument here! I love that carrageenan, and the cleaning tip is good advice. Especially with acrylics, they take more cleaning then watercolors. If you find the paints make funny jagged edges when you drop them, it is usually time for a double or triple duty cleaning before the next paint toss on the size.

        People like MC because it keeps better and you can save it. If you get used to working with it I suppose it's fine, I never liked it much at all. I make only as much carrageenan size as I will use in a day and never keep it long, two days tops. Anything gets dirty after a day, and to me there is nothing much more depressing than starting a new marbling day with dingy grey size. If you plan it right you won't be tossing much out at all.

        Iris evins

        On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Sue Cole <akartisan@...<mailto:akartisan@...>> wrote:
        > One of the problems I have been having is with the methyl cellulose
        > I have been using. Does anyone have a preference for one and
        > where do you get it?
        > Thanks for any info,
        > Sue

      • Sue Cole
        Message 3 of 10 , May 19, 2008
          thanks, that sounds like a good suggestions. I'll print it out and try it.
          Otherwise, I was going to try and have a pvc pipe one made like on
          page 41 of (the weekend crafter) Marbling by Laura Sims book.

          I have a table made of a door that I was going to use to do it on and
          run a hose out there. It's in a storage tank in my back yard that has
          sides that zip to the ground to keep dust out.
          Sue
        • Sue Cole
            Message 5 of 10 , May 19, 2008
              Re:Marbling on Silk
              .

              Yes, you can marble silk on carragheen.in fact it is easier than on paper as the fabric floats down rarely leaving air bubbles. I marbled silk scarves for 10 years and had the same results on silk as on paper. I used Liquitex acrylics and you have to alum your silk prior to marbling. Put the silk in a solution of alum water and then hang to dry. When dry, iron smooth to eliminate all wrinkles. You can put bamboo skewers (cut slightly longer than the width of your scarf) in the two ends of the scarf.the bamboo will bow out and give you a handle to hold the two ends of the scarf above the bath. Gently let the center of the scarf touch the marbling, and then let the two ends descend.

              I made my marbling tank from 2 sets of 4 strips of lath to make a rectangle slightly larger than my scarves (which were 9" x 45"). One rectangle was just smaller than the other so that it fit inside of the larger one (picture a rectangle shaped embroidery hoop). I draped heavy mil plastic on the larger frame, and then inserted the smaller frame inside making the plastic taut between the two frames.

              Hope these hints help.

              d. guffey

            • Sue Cole
              Message 6 of 10 , May 20, 2008
                I'll try the bigger newspaper idea - I had also been using paper
                towels because they were more absorbant.

                But can you use the carrageenan for the silk scarves? Everything
                I've read so far says to use mc for the scarves.
                Thanks for any help
                Sue
              • D or Jer Guffey
                Message 7 of 10 , May 20, 2008
                  Hi Sue,

                  Acrylic paints work just fine with the silk. From the tube squeeze out 1 to 2 inches of paint, then add water to make it the correct consistency for marbling. Test the colors on paper before using on silk. If it works for paper, it will work on silk. Because the paint manufactures are continuously changing their formulas you never know ahead of time which colors will work and which won't. The three brands I've had the most success for are "Liquitex," "Utrecht," and Galen Berry's (which are pre-mixed). You can purchase Galen's from his website: http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/

                  Good luck with your scarves,

                  d. guffey

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 20, 2008
                    I mentioned before as well, I have good luck with the cheap stuff from the big craft stores or Walmarts etc. Ceram-Coat is one brand. You need to experiment, Dolores is right, they keep changing stuff on us, but find a good black, white, red, yellow and blue and mix the rest from those. You need to thin just a little if at all, they are not as thick as those in tubes.

                    Acrylic paints work just fine with the silk. From the tube squeeze out 1 to 2 inches of paint, then add water to make it the correct consistency for marbling. Test the colors on paper before using on silk. If it works for paper, it will work on silk. Because the paint manufactures are continuously changing their formulas you never know ahead of time which colors will work and which won't. The three brands I've had the most success for are "Liquitex," "Utrecht," and Galen Berry's (which are pre-mixed). You can purchase Galen's from his website: http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/<http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/>

                    Good luck with your scarves,

                    d. guffey