marbling tank

  • hhumler
    Message 1 of 10 , May 17 5:24 AM
      I made a multi sized tank using 1" x 2" boards set on their short side. (Lumber is never the
      full size so this is really 3/4" x 1 3/4") I have cut the length pieces to the length needed to
      marble scarves. I actually have multiple sets of these. The width pieces are cut to fit also,
      but I have multiple sets of them, depending on whether I want to marble one scarf at a time,
      or two or more. So I have multiple sets of side rails and length rails. I make up the tank,
      selecting the length and width rails I need and then put them together using removable pin
      hinges. The hinges themselves are permanently attached to the 1 x 2s. The width pieces
      always get the two piece "eye" side of the hinge and the length pieces always get the one
      piece "eye" side of the hinge. That way, they are always compatible. The hinges are attached
      on the outside of the tank, not the inside. I use 4 mil clear plastic to line the tank, putting
      white paper under the tank on the table to make it easier to see my colors. I push pin the
      plastic in place being very meticulous to get the plastic smooth and wrinkle free. After
      marbling, i push one side of the tank off the side of the table just by a few inches and put a
      bucket under that corner. I then release the pins just in that corner and the liquid flows out
      into the bucket. I have to help it get out with my hands near the end. I wash the plastic and
      reuse it many many times.
    • John Goode
      Message 2 of 10 , May 18 8:04 PM
        Sue
        I strongly suggest Carrageenan as a size your results will be so much
        more than MC as far as my experience goes.
        Also as far as cleaning the surface try a full piece of news print
        cover the size and pull all the trash off the surface do not try and
        use strips to clean until you are a master.The cleaning could be
        causing your problems now, as strips of paper will cause roll under
        which in turn contaminates the size.Then there is temperature and
        humidity one must control these to get adequate results.
        Hope this little more info helps.
        Johnny

        Message 3 of 10 , May 18 8:15 PM
          No argument here! I love that carrageenan, and the cleaning tip is good advice. Especially with acrylics, they take more cleaning then watercolors. If you find the paints make funny jagged edges when you drop them, it is usually time for a double or triple duty cleaning before the next paint toss on the size.

          People like MC because it keeps better and you can save it. If you get used to working with it I suppose it's fine, I never liked it much at all. I make only as much carrageenan size as I will use in a day and never keep it long, two days tops. Anything gets dirty after a day, and to me there is nothing much more depressing than starting a new marbling day with dingy grey size. If you plan it right you won't be tossing much out at all.

          Iris evins

          On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Sue Cole <akartisan@...<mailto:akartisan@...>> wrote:
          > One of the problems I have been having is with the methyl cellulose
          > I have been using. Does anyone have a preference for one and
          > where do you get it?
          > Thanks for any info,
          > Sue

        • Sue Cole
          Message 4 of 10 , May 19 11:12 AM
            thanks, that sounds like a good suggestions. I'll print it out and try it.
            Otherwise, I was going to try and have a pvc pipe one made like on
            page 41 of (the weekend crafter) Marbling by Laura Sims book.

            I have a table made of a door that I was going to use to do it on and
            run a hose out there. It's in a storage tank in my back yard that has
            sides that zip to the ground to keep dust out.
            Sue
          • Sue Cole
              Message 6 of 10 , May 19 2:59 PM
                Re:Marbling on Silk
                .

                Yes, you can marble silk on carragheen.in fact it is easier than on paper as the fabric floats down rarely leaving air bubbles. I marbled silk scarves for 10 years and had the same results on silk as on paper. I used Liquitex acrylics and you have to alum your silk prior to marbling. Put the silk in a solution of alum water and then hang to dry. When dry, iron smooth to eliminate all wrinkles. You can put bamboo skewers (cut slightly longer than the width of your scarf) in the two ends of the scarf.the bamboo will bow out and give you a handle to hold the two ends of the scarf above the bath. Gently let the center of the scarf touch the marbling, and then let the two ends descend.

                I made my marbling tank from 2 sets of 4 strips of lath to make a rectangle slightly larger than my scarves (which were 9" x 45"). One rectangle was just smaller than the other so that it fit inside of the larger one (picture a rectangle shaped embroidery hoop). I draped heavy mil plastic on the larger frame, and then inserted the smaller frame inside making the plastic taut between the two frames.

                Hope these hints help.

                d. guffey

              • Sue Cole
                Message 7 of 10 , May 20 11:52 AM
                  I'll try the bigger newspaper idea - I had also been using paper
                  towels because they were more absorbant.

                  But can you use the carrageenan for the silk scarves? Everything
                  I've read so far says to use mc for the scarves.
                  Thanks for any help
                  Sue
                • D or Jer Guffey
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 20 12:43 PM
                    Hi Sue,

                    Acrylic paints work just fine with the silk. From the tube squeeze out 1 to 2 inches of paint, then add water to make it the correct consistency for marbling. Test the colors on paper before using on silk. If it works for paper, it will work on silk. Because the paint manufactures are continuously changing their formulas you never know ahead of time which colors will work and which won't. The three brands I've had the most success for are "Liquitex," "Utrecht," and Galen Berry's (which are pre-mixed). You can purchase Galen's from his website: http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/

                    Good luck with your scarves,

                    d. guffey

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 20 1:00 PM
                      I mentioned before as well, I have good luck with the cheap stuff from the big craft stores or Walmarts etc. Ceram-Coat is one brand. You need to experiment, Dolores is right, they keep changing stuff on us, but find a good black, white, red, yellow and blue and mix the rest from those. You need to thin just a little if at all, they are not as thick as those in tubes.

                      Acrylic paints work just fine with the silk. From the tube squeeze out 1 to 2 inches of paint, then add water to make it the correct consistency for marbling. Test the colors on paper before using on silk. If it works for paper, it will work on silk. Because the paint manufactures are continuously changing their formulas you never know ahead of time which colors will work and which won't. The three brands I've had the most success for are "Liquitex," "Utrecht," and Galen Berry's (which are pre-mixed). You can purchase Galen's from his website: http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/<http://members.aol.com/marbling/marbling/>

                      Good luck with your scarves,

                      d. guffey