Re: [Marbling] Re: questions

  • gretchen vansant
    Message 1 of 11 , May 15, 2008
      You got the just of it....Its all trial and error. I just ended up getting someone to make one for me out of a sheet of plywood, 2x4s on the sides,glue,waterproof tape/glue.Oh and drill a hole in the corner. People do sell boxes and rakes here. But I think its best to figure it out to some extent. My vat is 8 years old and has be ajusted ,and rejusted many times....Good Luck! Gretchen

      Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote: sounds like a good idea, but I don't know what a wardrobe box is.
      do you mean an under the bed storage container maybe? I bought
      one of those to see if I could use it for marbling. I also found out
      accidentally that you could use the clear plastic "box photo" frames
      from Michael's to use for a tank. They are clear rectangles meant to
      display a photo and the largest size is 16 x 20". I'vew been using
      the 9 x 12 and 11 x 14 sizes for smaller projects.
      Thanks
      Sue

    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 15, 2008
        In a message dated 5/15/08 12:49:12 AM, akartisan@... writes:

        > what a wardrobe box is.

        Hi,
        Sue,
        Movers use wardrobe boxes for moving clothes - they are large, very sturdy
        corrugated cardboard, I would guess about 3'x3'x48". Another potential would
        be a box used for shipping a refrigerator, or other furniture...

        HTH!
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

      • Sue Cole
          Message 4 of 11 , May 16, 2008
            In a message dated 5/16/08 2:17:22 PM, akartisan@... writes:

            > it just came to me,
            > maybe she meant to line the cardboard box with plastic.

            Yup!
            C. <VBG>

          • gretchen vansant
            Message 5 of 11 , May 16, 2008
              Naw your right I did mean the pastic wordrobe box....But the heavey duty cardboard with plactic insert sounds great. The plastic box sometimes has lips that interfer depending,but I have found one that works... ....:) G

              Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote: thanks, but I was under the impression that she was talking about
              some kind of plastic wardrobe box, since - oh, it just came to me,

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 17, 2014
                  I live in Fairbanks, AK and we have almost no humidity here.  Not clear on what your question about the alum is.

                  I keep the mixed up alum in a jar and the alum crystals in a jar  I always mix the carageenan powderi n a blender just for that purpose.  If you have any food residue in it, it will affect the carageenan.

                   I usually let the blended carageenan sit for a few hours or overnight before using it.  After I alum the paper, I keep it in a 2 gallon plastic bag.  The scarves I try to use within one or 2 days after being alumned.

                  I would also highly recommend the dvd by Mimi Schleicher, which you get directly from her. http://www.marbling.com/DVD.shtml
                  HTH
                  Sue