Re: [Marbling] Re: questions

  • gretchen vansant
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13 5:46 PM
      Dearest Sue Have you considered using a "wardrobe box"? or a photo developing immersion container? Its a great way to start! Gretchen

      Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote: thanks. I am setting up to do the larger things like the scarves in a
      storage tent in my back yard. I lucked out and got a free table made
      from a door with folding legs that I think will be the right size, so we
      could put it together on the table itself.

      I thought I had a lead on getting a plexiglass tank made, from
      someone who was recycling plastic they used for above ground
      septic tanks, but they decided they want too much money for it, so I
      was going to use a wood or pvc frame and run a hose out there.

      I'm still at the "entranced" stage with marbling, so I don't know if that
      wears off or not.
      Thanks again,
      Sue in Fairbanks, Alaska

    • gretchen vansant
      Message 2 of 11 , May 15 6:24 AM
        You got the just of it....Its all trial and error. I just ended up getting someone to make one for me out of a sheet of plywood, 2x4s on the sides,glue,waterproof tape/glue.Oh and drill a hole in the corner. People do sell boxes and rakes here. But I think its best to figure it out to some extent. My vat is 8 years old and has be ajusted ,and rejusted many times....Good Luck! Gretchen

        Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote: sounds like a good idea, but I don't know what a wardrobe box is.
        do you mean an under the bed storage container maybe? I bought
        one of those to see if I could use it for marbling. I also found out
        accidentally that you could use the clear plastic "box photo" frames
        from Michael's to use for a tank. They are clear rectangles meant to
        display a photo and the largest size is 16 x 20". I'vew been using
        the 9 x 12 and 11 x 14 sizes for smaller projects.
        Thanks
        Sue

      • carylhanc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 15 8:46 AM
          In a message dated 5/15/08 12:49:12 AM, akartisan@... writes:

          > what a wardrobe box is.

          Hi,
          Sue,
          Movers use wardrobe boxes for moving clothes - they are large, very sturdy
          corrugated cardboard, I would guess about 3'x3'x48". Another potential would
          be a box used for shipping a refrigerator, or other furniture...

          HTH!
          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

        • Sue Cole
            Message 5 of 11 , May 16 11:56 AM
              In a message dated 5/16/08 2:17:22 PM, akartisan@... writes:

              > it just came to me,
              > maybe she meant to line the cardboard box with plastic.

              Yup!
              C. <VBG>

            • gretchen vansant
              Message 6 of 11 , May 16 2:57 PM
                Naw your right I did mean the pastic wordrobe box....But the heavey duty cardboard with plactic insert sounds great. The plastic box sometimes has lips that interfer depending,but I have found one that works... ....:) G

                Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote: thanks, but I was under the impression that she was talking about
                some kind of plastic wardrobe box, since - oh, it just came to me,

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 17, 2014
                    I live in Fairbanks, AK and we have almost no humidity here.  Not clear on what your question about the alum is.

                    I keep the mixed up alum in a jar and the alum crystals in a jar  I always mix the carageenan powderi n a blender just for that purpose.  If you have any food residue in it, it will affect the carageenan.

                     I usually let the blended carageenan sit for a few hours or overnight before using it.  After I alum the paper, I keep it in a 2 gallon plastic bag.  The scarves I try to use within one or 2 days after being alumned.

                    I would also highly recommend the dvd by Mimi Schleicher, which you get directly from her. http://www.marbling.com/DVD.shtml
                    HTH
                    Sue