Re: [Marbling] Re:questions

    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2008
      You can take four 1" X 4"s and cut to size you want for the tray, and put them together either with screws or as Sandra Holzman did, with hooks and eyes, so she could take them apart later. Line with plastic, heavy, the needles of combs can pierce it otherwise. When done you need at least two people to carry to the sink, or outside, or you can shift it a bit off the table and cut a hole in the plastic and drain into buckets when done, or drill a hole in the middle of an old table, and pop a hole in the plastic over it with a bucket under. If you get serious you can go to a local plastic place and get the right size tray made from PVA, they do it with pieces seamed together, but is very expensive. They can make a drain hole for you with a screw cap, coming out of the bottom at one corner.

      The cleaning, I like the newspaper better, the boards get too dirty. You clean any old way you want, the point is to clean the old paint off and break surface tension. Doesn't matter what direction. usually with acrylics I would clean twice and if the paint goes down with jagged edges, it means the next cleaning should be better.

      As for Goldens, just experiment, many like them, I have also very successfully used the cheap stuff from the big craft stores, like Ceram-Coat but keep in mind not all the colors work well, I can't tell you which, it's been so long, you need to find one good red, yellow, blue, black and white, a metallic if you like. Mix other colors from those. The batches from one time you buy to another, the formula may differ, so be prepared to toss out some paint sometimes. For marbling, you try everything until something works, and then don't be surprised if one day it stops working.... and then sometimes works again. Just the frustrating nature of marbling sometimes.

      good luck,
      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2008
          Dearest Sue Have you considered using a "wardrobe box"? or a photo developing immersion container? Its a great way to start! Gretchen

          Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote: thanks. I am setting up to do the larger things like the scarves in a
          storage tent in my back yard. I lucked out and got a free table made
          from a door with folding legs that I think will be the right size, so we
          could put it together on the table itself.

          I thought I had a lead on getting a plexiglass tank made, from
          someone who was recycling plastic they used for above ground
          septic tanks, but they decided they want too much money for it, so I
          was going to use a wood or pvc frame and run a hose out there.

          I'm still at the "entranced" stage with marbling, so I don't know if that
          wears off or not.
          Thanks again,
          Sue in Fairbanks, Alaska

        • Sue Cole

            Message 5 of 11 , May 15, 2008
              You got the just of it....Its all trial and error. I just ended up getting someone to make one for me out of a sheet of plywood, 2x4s on the sides,glue,waterproof tape/glue.Oh and drill a hole in the corner. People do sell boxes and rakes here. But I think its best to figure it out to some extent. My vat is 8 years old and has be ajusted ,and rejusted many times....Good Luck! Gretchen

              Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote: sounds like a good idea, but I don't know what a wardrobe box is.
              do you mean an under the bed storage container maybe? I bought
              one of those to see if I could use it for marbling. I also found out
              accidentally that you could use the clear plastic "box photo" frames
              from Michael's to use for a tank. They are clear rectangles meant to
              display a photo and the largest size is 16 x 20". I'vew been using
              the 9 x 12 and 11 x 14 sizes for smaller projects.
              Thanks
              Sue

            • carylhanc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 15, 2008
                In a message dated 5/15/08 12:49:12 AM, akartisan@... writes:

                > what a wardrobe box is.

                Hi,
                Sue,
                Movers use wardrobe boxes for moving clothes - they are large, very sturdy
                corrugated cardboard, I would guess about 3'x3'x48". Another potential would
                be a box used for shipping a refrigerator, or other furniture...

                HTH!
                Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

              • Sue Cole
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 16, 2008
                    In a message dated 5/16/08 2:17:22 PM, akartisan@... writes:

                    > it just came to me,
                    > maybe she meant to line the cardboard box with plastic.

                    Yup!
                    C. <VBG>

                  • gretchen vansant
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 16, 2008
                      Naw your right I did mean the pastic wordrobe box....But the heavey duty cardboard with plactic insert sounds great. The plastic box sometimes has lips that interfer depending,but I have found one that works... ....:) G

                      Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote: thanks, but I was under the impression that she was talking about
                      some kind of plastic wardrobe box, since - oh, it just came to me,

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 17, 2014
                          I live in Fairbanks, AK and we have almost no humidity here.  Not clear on what your question about the alum is.

                          I keep the mixed up alum in a jar and the alum crystals in a jar  I always mix the carageenan powderi n a blender just for that purpose.  If you have any food residue in it, it will affect the carageenan.

                           I usually let the blended carageenan sit for a few hours or overnight before using it.  After I alum the paper, I keep it in a 2 gallon plastic bag.  The scarves I try to use within one or 2 days after being alumned.

                          I would also highly recommend the dvd by Mimi Schleicher, which you get directly from her. http://www.marbling.com/DVD.shtml
                          HTH
                          Sue