Frank Stella collage with marbling up for auction

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2008
      Greetings everyone,

      While I've often reported about historic items and antiques that
      feature marbling when they come up for auction, I'm pleased to tell
      you today a about some more contemporary work. Frank Stella, a well
      known American contemporary artist apparently explored marbling in the
      80's and employed it in some of collage work at that time. A
      collection of 6 of his pieces have come up as a lot to be sold at
      Sotheby's in New York on Friday May 9th 2008, starting at 10:00 AM.

      To view these works, you have to register or sign in at Sotheby's

      http://www.sothebys.com

      and then click on this link:

      <http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=159451647>

      Here is the window with the zoom view feature:

      <http://www.sothebys.com/app/ecatalogue/ecat.do?dispatch=displayImageViewer&lot_id=159451647&SIZE=smaller>

      While most appear to feature the marbling as a background or element,
      the piece on the upper right is interesting in that it appears to be a
      more intricately cut geometric interlacing design made from several
      different patterns.

      The lot is expected to fetch US$40-60K(!); not bad for a living artist.

      To learn more about Stella and his work:

      <http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/findingaids/stelfran.htm>

      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Stella>

      Jake Benson