Lecture at U Texas Preservation Forum

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2001
      Greetings Fellow Marblers!

      I'd like to announce that I've been asked to give a slide-lecture on the
      subject of the The Early Development of Paper Marbling (mainly in the
      Islamic World), at the Univeristy of Texas Preservation Forum on Thursday,
      March 22nd, from 4:30 to 6 pm. I don't have the specifics as yet concerning
      where it will be held (I had it, but my hard drive crashed!: will post those
      details shortly). The lecture is free and open to the public. I will be
      giving another lecture at SMU in Dallas on Friday, but I don't know if that
      is open to the public or not.... again, I'll relay the details when I know
      them.

      Topics include:

      The use of marbled paper by Masters of the Nastaliq' Persian script as a
      support for poetic compositions, known as Qita'.

      The role of marbling in the Islamic Scriptorium, called the Kitab-khana.

      Applications of marbled paper in Islamic Albums, known as Muraqqa'.

      Some methods derived from the 5 known manuscipts from India and Turkey that
      describe the marbling process.

      Development of motifs and floral imagery.

      Stencil/ resist methods used in marbling from the Deccan Sultanate in India.

      Influence of Islamic techniques on early European methods.

      Early use of marbled papers in European Alba Amicora

      Overview of subsequent developments related to the European bookbinding
      trade till the 19th c

      Clarifying certain notions relating to marbling history.

      The revival of the craft in modern Turkey.

      Then if there's time I can demo paper polishing using traditional methods
      (gelatin/albumin/alum/ beeswax) and a conservation approach (Methyl
      Cellulose and Microcrystalline wax).

      It's a lot to cover, and some areas will be briskly skimmed over.

      Kind Regards,

      Jake Benson

      Benson's Hand Bindery
      Fine Custom Bookbinding & Conservation
      Hand Marbled Papers
      1319 B Summerville Ave.
      Columbia S.C. 29201
      Phone: 803.799.1853
      jemiljan@...
      http://www.iprofsys.com/bensonsmarbles.htm
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2001
        Oh! I wouldn't mind attending! However--I'd need to start Now--with the
        snowshoes to get from Ottawa to Texas! LOL
        If you ever put your papers together to publish, you must let us
        know--as I am sure many would want to read them.
        Jill