Re: Types of cellulose ethers

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 7, 2008
      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, carylhanc@... wrote:
      Would you please say more about the above copied paragraph - what size
      - the caragheenan? What wax? And while I understand the burnishing
      process, I have no clue where to get a stone. None of my marbling
      books address this final process for the papers.

      I gave a detailed description of this before, but since I'm having
      trouble searching the archives at the moment, I can't seem to access it.

      Size- you can use any size, really. Historically, I think that
      gelatin with a little alum was used. Any of the HPMC - or even the
      CMC that Erik has used may work.

      Wax- Beeswax does work very well, and it even smells wonderful when
      finished, but many conservators are "allergic" to the use of it today
      because of the oils in it. Bleached beeswax is also brittle. I've
      used paraffin. There are also wax pastes that on can use. For
      "conservation-sound" purposes, the choice is Rennaissance wax, which
      is made of strictly microcrystalline wax, which has been tested to
      show that it ages very well.

      For more practical purposes, one that I like alot is "Dorland's Art
      Wax", available at many art supply stores. It contains some beeswax,
      carnuba, and microcrystalline, as well as a little damar resin. I
      find it gives a harder finish than the other blends. I've even used
      Johnson Floor wax, but I think it's a bit too oily to my taste. I've
      not explored all of the car waxes available. They are made to stand
      up to a lot of wear and tear. Has anyone tried "turtle wax" or
      similar brands?

      >Are the cherry blossoms all done? That was always my favorite time
      when >we lived in DC - followed by the magnolias blooming on the Mall!

      They're still blooming, and I took a nice walk with a few hundred
      other people around the Tidal Basin last week. While crowded, it was
      not as bad as the weekend. The relatively new Roosevelt Memorial
      makes for a nice leg of the walk.

      Which reminds me: There is an upcoming exhibition planned for the
      Freer and
      Sackler entitled "Muraqqa': Imperial Mughal Albums from the Chester
      Beatty Library, Dublin." Of course, I'm hoping that some examples of
      marbling will be featured. Of course, it could very well be there,
      but on the back side of the paintings that tend to be featured in such
      shows. Many of the items on display have never been exhibited outside
      of the Chester Beatty before.

      http://www.asia.si.edu/exhibitions/future.htm

      A full catalog will be released next month:

      http://worldcat.org/oclc/156784967

      Jake
    • Sue Cole
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9, 2008
        you can get a burnishing stone at Iris Nevins website:
        <http://www.marblingpaper.com/marbling3.html>

        Also, Peggy Skycraft sells MicroGlaze, another type of wax at her
        site:
        http://www.skycraft.com/skycraftMicroGlaze.html

        Also, I haven't done it myself, but for very long links, you can go to
        www.tinyurl.com and it will compress it for you for free.
        Sue