Re: [Marbling] Re: Types of cellulose ethers

  • carylhanc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 7, 2008
      In a message dated 4/6/08 3:07:29 PM, jemiljan@... writes:

      > I find that an application of external sizing followed by waxing and
      > burnishing makes the papers far more durable, especially around the
      > perimeter of the boards.

      Hi, Jake,
      Once again, thank you for all your information. Your comments about using
      the 50-50 solution of methylcel and caragheenan are interesting - I just might
      have to try that, although I find that the MC lasts a pretty long time - just
      wish it would not turn blue with use....

      I would have to say that I love the Golden Fluid Acrylics - smooth and with a
      lot of pigment. Ditto the Heavy Body ones - they just take more distilled
      water to thin. I very seldom have needed surfactant with them - just the
      water. The only time I add dilute surfactant is when the surface of the size is
      pretty well covered and the last color down needs a little more "muscle."
      Milena has almost always used the Goldens as well, but of course worked on the
      caragheenan while I am a methylcel person.

      Would you please say more about the above copied paragraph - what size - the
      caragheenan? What wax? And while I understand the burnishing process, I
      have no clue where to get a stone. None of my marbling books address this
      final process for the papers.

      Are the cherry blossoms all done? That was always my favorite time when we
      lived in DC - followed by the magnolias blooming on the Mall!

      TIA! Caryl in Indianapolis

    • Sue Cole
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9, 2008
        you can get a burnishing stone at Iris Nevins website:
        <http://www.marblingpaper.com/marbling3.html>

        Also, Peggy Skycraft sells MicroGlaze, another type of wax at her
        site:
        http://www.skycraft.com/skycraftMicroGlaze.html

        Also, I haven't done it myself, but for very long links, you can go to
        www.tinyurl.com and it will compress it for you for free.
        Sue