Re: [Marbling] More digitized historical texts about marbling

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
      Thanks for all that Jake.... remember the Halfer facsimile that Polly Fox did with...I think Phoebe Easton?.... is that still floating about? I do have one, and also two original Halfers, one in German, one English.... these old books used to turn up now and then fairly reasonably, can't imagine what they would cost now. Also Woolnough and Nicholson's would also turn up. The Woolnough I remember paying what seemed a vast fortune back in the 80s, but worth every cent. There was also an edition put out by Plough Press with Katherine Davis doing the original samples, which is beautifully done. And I re-issued Nicholson's back in the 80s, with 18 rather that the seven original sample papers.... well, they did describe 18 patterns so I figured why not. I think it was also Garland that did a Nicholson's but in B&W. And was it Harvard that did the Loring facsilile in B&W long ago? These books should still be floating about if you hunt the used book sites or Google them. There are also other great limited edition marbling books out there, fine press, such as Barry McKay's work, Patterns & Pigments, I did the original Varieties Of Spanish Marbling for Bird & Bull, and Chris Weimann did several, so did Richard Wolfe for B&B. Susanne Martin's new book which some of us participated in recently is just out and gorgeous, also her paste paper books, and let's not forget Karli Frigge's work. I am sure I am missing others.... but feel very lucky to have many of these editions.

      And who wants all books to go digital someday, LOL! What treasures.... I'd say rather, bring back the old ways. Then again, just preaching to the choir here!