Tristram Shandy marbled pages

  • avcelemin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
      I've found a digitalized book on the internet, from the Bodleian
      Library at Oxford with images of the marbled pages that Laurence
      Sterne included on his novel. R. J. Wolfe comments largely this matter
      on his book on marbled papers.

      But you can see, in the album I've created: "Laurence Sterne -
      Tristram Shandy", the way to illuminate spots in marbled papers, if
      the reading bores you. It's very funny.

      Antonio
    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
        Thanks for posting that, Antonio!

        There is one web page at the University of Glasgow that reproduced one
        image of the marbled leaf:

        http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/oct2000.html

        Did your images come from this article? Or another source?

        http://library.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/citation/s5-XXVII/2/143

        Thanks,

        Jake

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "avcelemin" <ANVECE@...> wrote:

        > I've found a digitalized book on the internet, from the Bodleian
        > Library at Oxford with images of the marbled pages that Laurence
        > Sterne included on his novel. R. J. Wolfe comments largely this matter
        > on his book on marbled papers.
        >
        > But you can see, in the album I've created: "Laurence Sterne -
        > Tristram Shandy", the way to illuminate spots in marbled papers, if
        > the reading bores you. It's very funny.
        >
        > Antonio

      • Antonio Vélez Celemín
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
          http://books.google.es/books?id=sS8CAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover

          That's the link, Jake.

          There is one web page at the University of Glasgow that reproduced one
          image of the marbled leaf:

          http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/oct2000.html

          Did your images come from this article? Or another source?

          http://library.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/citation/s5-XXVII/2/143

          Thanks,

          Jake

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "avcelemin" <ANVECE@...> wrote:

          > I've found a digitalized book on the internet, from the Bodleian
          > Library at Oxford with images of the marbled pages that Laurence
          > Sterne included on his novel. R. J. Wolfe comments largely this matter
          > on his book on marbled papers.
          >
          > But you can see, in the album I've created: "Laurence Sterne -
          > Tristram Shandy", the way to illuminate spots in marbled papers, if
          > the reading bores you. It's very funny.
          >
          > Antonio

        • Jake Benson
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
            thanks Antonio!

            The link for the English language version of Googlebooks is

            http://books.google.com/books?id=sS8CAAAAQAAJ

            Additionally, Feridun kindly alerted me to the fact that the 2nd
            german edition of Josef Halfer's "Die Fortschritte der Marmiorkunst"
            is also now available on googlebooks:

            http://books.google.com/books?id=lS8KAAAAIAAJ

            A few of the samples have fortunately been scanned in color. Not all
            of them were, but there are a few more images in a photo album on our
            group site, posted a few years ago by Anna Karenina:

            I have uploaded this to the "Historical marbling Accounts" Folder in
            the files section:

            Also note the addition of "The Manner of marbling Paper and Books"
            published by G. Smith in "The Laboratory or, the School of the Arts."
            6th edition, 1799. Elinor Eisemann kindly scanned the images from a
            copy at the Linda Hall Library in Kansas City, Missouri, and sent them
            to me. Since I found that reading them was a bit difficult, I further
            processed them using OCR software and appended a fully transcribed
            text version at the end of the document.

            When I get more time, I have a few more texts to upload.

            Enjoy!

            Jake

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Antonio Vélez Celemín <ANVECE@...> wrote:

            > http://books.google.es/books?id=sS8CAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover
            >
            > That's the link, Jake.

          • haytham kamal
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
              Hi Antonio,
              did you find this digitalized book on the web site of the bodleian library, if so, how do you search for digitalized books in this web site, becase I couldn`t find? if not, please tell me where did you find this book?
              thanks alot

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
                thanks Antonio I found the link

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
                  Thanks for all that Jake.... remember the Halfer facsimile that Polly Fox did with...I think Phoebe Easton?.... is that still floating about? I do have one, and also two original Halfers, one in German, one English.... these old books used to turn up now and then fairly reasonably, can't imagine what they would cost now. Also Woolnough and Nicholson's would also turn up. The Woolnough I remember paying what seemed a vast fortune back in the 80s, but worth every cent. There was also an edition put out by Plough Press with Katherine Davis doing the original samples, which is beautifully done. And I re-issued Nicholson's back in the 80s, with 18 rather that the seven original sample papers.... well, they did describe 18 patterns so I figured why not. I think it was also Garland that did a Nicholson's but in B&W. And was it Harvard that did the Loring facsilile in B&W long ago? These books should still be floating about if you hunt the used book sites or Google them. There are also other great limited edition marbling books out there, fine press, such as Barry McKay's work, Patterns & Pigments, I did the original Varieties Of Spanish Marbling for Bird & Bull, and Chris Weimann did several, so did Richard Wolfe for B&B. Susanne Martin's new book which some of us participated in recently is just out and gorgeous, also her paste paper books, and let's not forget Karli Frigge's work. I am sure I am missing others.... but feel very lucky to have many of these editions.

                  And who wants all books to go digital someday, LOL! What treasures.... I'd say rather, bring back the old ways. Then again, just preaching to the choir here!

                  The link for the English language version of Googlebooks is

                  http://books.google.com/books?id=sS8CAAAAQAAJ<http://books.google.com/books?id=sS8CAAAAQAAJ>

                  http://books.google.com/books?id=lS8KAAAAIAAJ<http://books.google.com/books?id=lS8KAAAAIAAJ>