Printing Error

  • walpolepo
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
      Dear Jake--A most curious thing happened. I was reading my new
      > Decorated Book Papers by Rosamond Loring, 4th edition, in the section
      > called Paste End Papers. I turned page 69 to continue the sentence on
      > the verso, but to my amazement there was nothing printed on that
      page! I
      > checked my copy of the 3rd edition, and sure enough there was the rest
      > of the sentence on page 70. What happened to that page in this
      edition?
      > Is there someone we can have recourse to? Elinor Eisemann
    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
        Hi Elinor,

        Is this the edition that you obtained?

        http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/LORDEC.html

        Does anyone else on this list have this new edition? Is your copy
        also missing this page? I've been tempted to get it myself, just for
        the inclusion of the color images.

        Elinor, if you have a mis-printed copy, you might be able to exchange
        it for another. Try contacting the Print and Graphic Curator at
        Houghton, Hope Mayo (click on the library page link on the above page,
        and then click on the staff directory).

        I hope this helps!

        Jake

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "walpolepo" <geisemann@...> wrote:

        > Dear Jake--A most curious thing happened. I was reading my new
        > > Decorated Book Papers by Rosamond Loring, 4th edition, in the section
        > > called Paste End Papers. I turned page 69 to continue the sentence on
        > > the verso, but to my amazement there was nothing printed on that
        > page! I
        > > checked my copy of the 3rd edition, and sure enough there was the rest
        > > of the sentence on page 70. What happened to that page in this
        > edition?
        > > Is there someone we can have recourse to? Elinor Eisemann

      • Eisemann
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
          Dear Jake--Thanks for your response. You are an indispensable resource for our group. I am contacting Hope Mayo about the error. I must say that I was less than overwhelmed by the illustrations. Many were the same as in the previous edition, only now in full color.

          Elinor Eisemann

        • Jake Benson
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26, 2008
            Has anyone else purchased this new edition?
            Have you found the same printing error in your copy?

            In relation to this, has anyone obtained the recently published
            Loring recipe book? If so, do you have any thoughts or impressions?

            Thanks,

            Jake

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Eisemann" <geisemann@...> wrote:

            > Dear Jake--Thanks for your response. You are an indispensable
            resource for our group. I am contacting Hope Mayo about the error. I
            must say that I was less than overwhelmed by the illustrations. Many
            were the same as in the previous edition, only now in full color.

            > Elinor Eisemann

          • Susanne Krause
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
              Hi Jake,

              I have purchased the recipe book ... good for research into Loring's
              work and the work of her contemporaries, as it gives the recipes she
              (maybe – my own recipes tend to change all the time) used incl. all
              their faults and merits. As to using the recipes in one's own studio,
              well ... it's like with all personalized recipes. That they are fine
              in one studio doesn't say anything at all about the next studio.

              Susanne Krause

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 27, 2008
                I remember back in 1981 someone found for a few dollars at a used book place, and original Loring...! Tipped in original samples and all.

                So true though, what works in one place doesn't in another.... and I notice, that the hardest thing sometimes is doing a great copy of one's OWN work! Due to seasonal changes, humidity, temperature raises and lowerings, even over the course of a single day can make things work differently too.

                All too often, people want a recipe, a formula. People come to a class ready to take notes.... that's fine, but what they right down, they go home, try that there, this amount of gall to that amount of paint and nothing works.

                Learning to overcome your environment and the weather is key to marbling and I imagine paste papers too, right Susanne?

                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "Jake Benson" <jemiljan@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone else purchased this new edition?
                > Have you found the same printing error in your copy?
                >
                > In relation to this, has anyone obtained the recently published
                > Loring recipe book? If so, do you have any thoughts or impressions?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Jake
                >

                > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "Eisemann" <geisemann@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Dear Jake--Thanks for your response. You are an indispensable
                > resource for our group. I am contacting Hope Mayo about the error. I
                > must say that I was less than overwhelmed by the illustrations. Many
                > were the same as in the previous edition, only now in full color.
                > >
                > > Elinor Eisemann

              • Susanne Krause
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
                  Hi Iris,

                  you are so right. The weather is crucial; that's why I avoid to teach
                  beginners in summer if possible. The lessons to learn about managing
                  the weather's influence on paper decorating are of the most advantage
                  to people with experience.
                  Anyway, there are very few final truths about making decorated paper
                  ... every paper decorator must keep in mind that the opposite, or
                  anything in between, may also be true.

                  I always (well, almost always) make notes of whatever I do, sometimes
                  down to the last drop and half gram and weather and room's climate
                  etc., sometimes rather cursory. It helps, but it is definitely not
                  enough. Without hundreds of discarded sheets, patience, pig-headedness
                  and inquisitiveness, you're nothing.
                  Then there is your own personality, you're not the same every day.
                  Kept awake by a horde of cheeky mosquitoes? Got a headache coming?
                  Your most needed base paper has been used up the day before yesterday
                  but your supplier lets you down? Can't wait for the night and the
                  concert ahead? Marrying tomorrow? It shows.
                  And then a customer comes and wants it copied: You have made that
                  fabulous red in 2001, I need another 3 sheets! ... Almost as demanding
                  as copying an old pattern, and you don't have a suitable wheel and
                  your hands and fingernails are about half the size of the original
                  maker's, not to mention the fact that he or she has made about 777
                  sheets of the pattern before. Finding the solution of such a problem
                  is what I love most.

                  Susanne Krause